zaq77
Lv 5
zaq77 asked in SportsRugby · 9 years ago

Who is likely to be the next Springbok coach?

and who would be the best in your opinion?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favourite answer

If I was a betting man; Allister Coetzee. The coach of the Western Province Currie Cup side and the Stormers Super Rugby franchise. He was also one of Jake White's assistant coaches and part of the World Cup-winning side in 2007. He also happens to be non-white (this is not and indictment of his ability, it's just something that I know SARU will look at) so he fits SARU's ''political'' goals and he should have been the guy who got Peter de Villiers' job in the first place, seeing as P.Divvy was a clear political appointment, but he was seen as one of Jake White's boys and SA Rugby had a disliking for Jake White so he stood no chance.

He had originally informed Jake White of his intention to run for the position post-2007 and Jake White stated in his book that he felt Allister was a solid candidate.

Other names being mentioned are;

Nick Mallett - He's an ex-Bok coach already and recently completed a 4-year coach as the Italian coach. He did not get on well with SARU before his departure and is very outspoken. SARU likes ''puppets''.

Rassie Erasmus - A former Springbok and ex-Cheetahs with whom he won a Currie Cup. Now technical advisor to Western Province/the Stormers. A rugby genius.

Brendan Venter - A former 'Bok and ex-coach of English club side London Irish and rugby director at Saracens. Another rugby brain but also very outspoken, something SARU does not like.

Heyneke Meyer - He took the Bulls from eternal Super Rugby wooden spoonists and turned them into Currie Cup & Super Rugby powerhouses. His successful Bull's brand of rugby also became the Springboks' brand of rugby. He totally restructured the Blue Bulls Rugby Union in his time there and was the favourite to replace Jake White, but lost to Divvy. Only downside is he favours the 10-man kicking rugby that is one of the reasons why we failed to beat the Aussies. Forwards can dominate but our backline has no clue.

Gert Smal - Former representative Springbok flanker. Was on the Western Province coaching staff that won two Currie Cup title between 2000 & 2002. Later appointed as Jake White's forwards coach where he helped win the 2004 Tri-Nations and the 2007 Rugby World Cup. He is currently the Irish forwards coach with whom he won the 2009 Six Nations & Grand Slam. His work with the Irish pack has been widely lauded.

John Mitchel - Former All Black with stints as assistant coach for England, as head coach of the Chiefs Super Rugby franchise, All Blacks, Waikato NPC side, Western Force Super Rugby franchise and now with the Golden Lions Currie Cup side and Lions Super Rugby franchise. His turn around of the Lions in particular and his ability to identify and mold talent (James O'Connor & Elton Jantjies) is a testament to his ability. Only question is, is SA ready for a foreign coach? I personally do not like the idea.

John Plumtree - New Zealand born but now a naturalised South African. Playing stints in SA (where he won two Currie Cups) and NZ as well as successful coaching stints in both countries. He made 3 final playoff appearances with the Wellington Lions in the NPC as a coach in 2003, 2004 & 2006 and has won two Currie Cups with the Sharks, in 2008 & 2010. He is noted for his ''modern'' take on the game. His ideas may be a breath of fresh air in the Bok set-up, but once again, I'm not sure if I like the idea of a foreign coach. I think he'd be a fine assistant coach of the forwards though.

• 9 years ago

RSA could do much better than Mitchell he had a very late, short and unmemorable Allblack career and has been less than impressive as an Allblack and super rugby coach.

John Plumtree is well respected for his work in NZ (particularly with Wellington and IRA) and was tipped back in the day for higher honours with serious potential to be involved somewhere at a national level, just another one of the good ones NZ has let get away, Plumtree is 10 times the coach John Mitchell will ever be and if he can slot in and help with the new RSA coaching staff he will be an asset to Springbok rugby.

You are welcome to Mitchell, but please send Plumtree home!

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Chucho Ramirez should be the next coach. Like u said he's cool with the future stars and he dosnt have a team. I would perfer De la Torre but he's still got time with Toluca. @USA fans. Bob B isn't a good coach, I'm not hating just being honest.

• Bill P
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

The Stagg really put forward some good names and reasons why they would succeed. My only comment would be that if possible, pick a local as the coach. Gatland is doing well at Wales and Deans is getting the numbers in Aus though many would prefer McKenzie as coach. Henry when he was Lions coach wasn't successful. In all, they should pick a Saffa for the job.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Victor Matfield or Percy Montgomery

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Rassie Erasmus

• Andrew
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

John Mitchell?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

percy montgomery

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.