Was Conan creator Robert E Howard a Jew ?

Robert E Howard created the character Conan the Barbarian, popularised in comics, books and film. Howard’s characters first appeared in pulp fiction magazines in the 1930’s and included heroes like Kull, Bran Mac Morn and his most famous creation Conan. On a personal level this creative genius was also a social... show more Robert E Howard created the character Conan the Barbarian, popularised in comics, books and film. Howard’s characters first appeared in pulp fiction magazines in the 1930’s and included heroes like Kull, Bran Mac Morn and his most famous creation Conan. On a personal level this creative genius was also a social misfit who suffered from identity issues and had an Oedipal condition that ultimately culminated in his suicide. Howard identified himself as a Celt due to some vague Irish ancestor and his characters are meant to be Irish or proto Irish. This is strange as Howards name shows elements of English and Jewish. His middle name is Erwin and his father was Dr Isaac Mordecai Howard and mother Hester Jane Erwin Howard. It is interesting to note that in one of his Conan yarns “ Queen of the Black Coast “ Conan falls for the Shemitish ( proto Jews ) she pirate Belit. Much is made between the romance between the two in the story, perhaps this was a reconciliation between Howard’s Jewish and European heritage. It is ironic these days that many people accuse Howard of racism, and certain forums praise him for pushing Aryan ideals. Just for the record I am not Jewish or anti-semitic, or have some agenda. I am just a long time Conan fan who wanted to get other peoples input into this as I have not been able to come across much on the subject.
2 answers 2