Can a seller back out of a signed real-estate contract?

I recently made an offer, in writing, to buy a house, which was accepted by the seller. The contract has since been signed and is in effect, with the only condition being my financing. You can imagine my surprise, then, when I saw the house had been re-listed on real estate websites and open-for-inspections... show more I recently made an offer, in writing, to buy a house, which was accepted by the seller. The contract has since been signed and is in effect, with the only condition being my financing.

You can imagine my surprise, then, when I saw the house had been re-listed on real estate websites and open-for-inspections planned for it! The place was open for inspection two days after the contract was signed (I thought it was just too late to cancel it) but now the house is open for inspection for a second weekend! A friend of mine called the real estate agent and she welcomed her to my future house!

Can the seller back out of a signed contract for any reason? Are the sellers simply looking for a better offer? Given that I've waived the right to a building and pest inspection, and settlement is due in 28 days, I do not understand why they would be seeking more offers.