Are most straight men just homophobic by nature?

Ok so I was thinking about this question as I am actually not very homophobic compared to a lot of guys I know. I think people should be able to choose who they like no matter what. However the other day I was walking down the street and I saw two gay guys kissing and I quickly looked away almost freaked out. Afterwards I felt kind of ashamed that I reacted like that.

I started wondering if I was homophobic, and came up with the theory that straight men are homophobic by nature. I wasn't grossed out by the fact that they were 2 guys but surprised, I am actually kind of grossed out when 2 straight people kiss in public as it is to me, too much pda.

I think however that as a guy, I am attracted to girls naturally and unattracted to guys naturally and therefore when I see two guys doing something that could be sexual it makes me uncomfortable. However when two girls do something sexual it doesn't get that much attention because since straight men are turned on by females then it turns them on. If guys didn't have this natural tendency to see gay as being wrong then there would be more bisexual/gay people. And if there was too many gay people then reproduction (as a natural occurrence) would not happen as often and it would mess up human nature. Kind of how naturally people are not usually inclined to sleep with family members. It is just natures way of having humans recognize its wrong.

What do you think? I know this comes off as a defense for homophobia but its really not, Im just trying to put the pieces together.

I don't think so. As others have said, I think it's a cultural thing. One is raised from childhood to believe that certain behaviors should only be between a man and a woman, and that gets internalized. I'm not a psychologist, so I won't even speculate as to why some men just go overboard with it. Mostly, I wanted to answer this to tell you that I don't think you're homophobic. How you feel is how you feel, and the fact that you had a problem with two men kissing is neither good nor bad. What's important is how you behaved. You didn't run screaming, you didn't call them names. In fact, you felt bad about it. You may or may not ever get used to it, but as long as you know consciously that there's nothing wrong with it and you never try to act on your reactions, you're ok - at least in my book.

• No its just society or bad personal experiences that create stereotypes. Just because you feel uncomfortable around some guys making out doesnt mean homophobic. I feel awkward around any couple making out gay or straight. A little kiss is cool and cute but more than that and i feel wierd

In ancient greece man on man was considered superior because im assuming they thought of women as inferior. I think they would have liked female on female too as seeing them as being better mothers im guessing. Just assumptions i never read what the reasons behind this was.

Source(s): straight guy

I share your feelings... I consider myself open-minded and I support gay rights, but in all honestly there's a tiny part of me that's not always 100% comfortable seeing it (though it lessens the more I'm exposed to it and the older I get). I think even though the rational, higher-thinking part of my brain supports their rights and has no problem with a male-male couple, there's still a monkey brain in there somewhere that's focused on procreation and therefore has a natural aversion to that sort of thing.

It's more a societal value system that's instilled into them from the moment of birth along with views of the ideal male being hyper masculine in most cultures.

Nurture. And I Wouldnt Say Most Men. XD

No. In fact very few straight men are homophobic.

Most homophobic men are either bisexual or homosexual.

Follow the link to learn more. . .

.

.

Source(s): Homophobia study. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqdAlsSPiUQ
  • People usually look away when someone is sharing an intimate moment.