Soviet Union: Family Life in the 1920s & 1930s?

I am in the process of trying to write a paper for my Soviet Union class and am having some trouble with my argument (thesis) on Family Life in the 1920s and 30s. I'm covering the social change of family life under Stalinism and was hoping to connect it to the "double burden" (see ->... show more I am in the process of trying to write a paper for my Soviet Union class and am having some trouble with my argument (thesis) on Family Life in the 1920s and 30s. I'm covering the social change of family life under Stalinism and was hoping to connect it to the "double burden" (see -> http://www.soviethistory.org/index.php?page=subject&show=&SubjectID=1968burden&ArticleID=&Year=1968 ); ultimately it being the groundwork for it. My intentions were to use collectivization (millions of men left home with only some keeping in touch with their families), the problem of absconding husbands (would abandon wife and children and refuse to pay child support), the prohibition of legal abortions (resulted in more women having children that did not necessarily want them, therefore trying to have a career and a child, oftentimes resulting in the neglect of the child), and the wives' movement (women sought to define themselves by their own party/factory work, not through their husbands).

Do I seem to be misunderstanding any of my support topics? Are there other social changes I can focus on that would better support my topic? Any suggestions on how to make any aspect of my argument stronger? Etc. Any commentary/input would be excellent.
1 answer 1