What can I use for a snowman hat? (gingerbread house yard)?

i'm planning on making a gingerbread house from scratch for christmas. under it, i'll have a piece of cardboard wrapped in foil and covered in a powdered sugar/water paste and that will be the snowy yard. i want to maybe decorate the yard with a candy cane path and chocolate chips lining it as rocks. i... show more i'm planning on making a gingerbread house from scratch for christmas.

under it, i'll have a piece of cardboard wrapped in foil and covered in a powdered sugar/water paste and that will be the snowy yard. i want to maybe decorate the yard with a candy cane path and chocolate chips lining it as rocks. i might make a christmas tree cookie and cover it with icing, then green sprinkles.

another idea for the yard is a snowman or two...i've just made one as a test haha.

i used marshmallows that aren't really mini, but not regular sized either. i put a toothpick through them to keep it together, then i poked holes for eyes and for three buttons down the center. i pushed a brown sprinkle in each hole for the eyes and buttons, and an orange one for the nose. i drew a mouth with some kind of baking marker. i'll use red licorice for a scarf.

what can i use for the hat?
anything i use can be covered in nutella if it isn't already brown/black.
also, what about the arms?
would toothpicks be okay, or is there something else that's edible?

(sorry for writing a novel here...)
any ideas for the yard or house would be much appreciated, thanks!

=)
2 answers 2