Anthony P asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Which dog is more protective Belgian Malinois or German Shepherd?

Which of the breed has a stronger temper? I owned a shepherd before,but which dog is naturally more protective ?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Shweta
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Favourite answer

Sometimes playing the mischievous clown, yet more often serious, the Belgian Shepherd is highly observant with strangers, typically reserved and aloof, and has strong protective instincts. As such, Belgian Shepherds need more extensive socialization than most breeds so that their watchfulness doesn't become suspicion or sharpness. Shyness and spookiness are also present in a good number of Belgian Shepherd lines. The Malonois is from working lines and was never to be kept as family pets as they can be difficult to handle and live with.

Unfortunately, many German Shepherds today are not good ones – they have risky temperaments and suffer from a host of health problems. So many German Shepherds are badly bred by unknowledgeable people. The result is that obedience instructors and behavioral consultants see lots of German Shepherds with neurotic behaviors, especially aggression, skittishness, and extreme fearfulness. Again, you need to carefully research your lines with this breed. Most German Shepherds have protective instincts toward strangers. They need extensive exposure to friendly people so they learn to recognize the normal behaviors of "good guys." Then they can recognize the difference when someone really does act abnormally. Without careful socialization, a German Shepherd may be suspicious of everyone.

Both these breeds are loyal dogs who will fight unto death for their owners, but they must be socialized so they will not bite or attack any innocent person. Both are pretty protective, and their large imposing size, and deep barks and growls are often enough to scare people away!

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Belgian Malinois and German shepherds are very similar and many get confused with the two, but when it comes to mindset there are big differences. If you are active, a great dog trainer, ready to be a pack leader, and are willing to have a very extreme dog smarter than you, the Belgian Malinois might be right for you. You need a LOT of time and patience with Malinois, they are intense, strong, fast, athletic, intelligent, and highly capable of anything really. I wouldn't get one for a family pet unless you have experience. Although they are good with kids, they require lots of exercise due to their high energy levels. They can't just go on walks or play in a yard with toys. These dogs need their minds worked, they need a job to do. They're not too popular as a pet but they dominate in dog sports like agility, flyball, frisbee, dock jumpers, obedience, ringsport, ipo, schutzhund, and jobs like police, military, guard dogs, tracking dogs, search & rescue, and herding dogs. They are harder to train than the German shepherd, however once you got the trianing down, you get more out of them. That's why they're ideal for sporting and working and are increasingly becoming popular. The German shepherd is a bigger, stronger, and calmer version, more ideal for a housepet or guard dog. They don't need as much exercise or training, but they also still need to be worked. Do some research and you will see differences. I would say get a German shepherd for family use, a Belgian Malinois for working or sporting dog and as for companion or one person dog you can get both.

• 9 years ago

It depends on their breeding and training - with dogs from working lines, there will be almost no difference in "protection" or "strong personality" though the Mal tends to be more high-energy/high-drive. Now, there are undoubtedly a higher percent of Mals that are closely related to those protection lines than there are German Shepherds with similar credentials (there are a lot of GSDs bred to have temperaments more suited for pets or show animals these days - Mals haven't had the same split in their breed).

As far as "natural protection" goes, I would trust a well-bred GSD in the hands of a novice or someone not planning to engage in formal schutzhund/protection training. Mals higher drives tend to mean that they take things into their own "hands" and make poor life decisions when not directed more often than most GSDs.

Bottom line? A "naturally protective" dog is a liability and not an asset without a lot of work to channel and control that instinct. Otherwise, you don't have a protector but a loose canon.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I would definitely say the malinois. My neighbor has one and the dog is constantly on guard, its unbelievable. He says the dog barely sleeps at night cause shes to busy protecting the house. The dog is a little skittish, pretty friendly and they have a 2 year old and a newborn and the dog loves them !!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I personally think German Shepherd.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I had a german shepherd and they are the biggest sweethearts but if anyone came near our house, youd know it! I doubt theyd ever really hurt anyone but they sure are angry when strangers come around.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

german shepherd because did you know that because of his strength, intelligents and ability to obey it is mostly enployed for army soldiers and the popo

• 9 years ago

belgians, there are more belgians that are police dogs than german shepards....a lot of people cant tell the difference

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.