Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 9 years ago

Poll: Do you thumb down answers...?

Do you thumb down answers:

A. That are stupid/annoying...

B. That you disagree with

C. To make you question seem better

D. Just to push the shiny button

E. Because there are already so many

I'm curious, but mostly bored.

LQ Bonus: What's your fave my Little Pony? Mine's Princess Luna or Zecora.

Edit @ Billy Bob:

I'm 21 have a degree in Horse Production and Management and am a vet tech. I've been around horses since I was little and have been riding for 11 years. Broken horses and sprained every area of my body. I suggest you grow up yourself, quit listening to that girl Justin Beiber, get a life and quit being a Bit*h.

Edit:

Yeah you are, but to judge someone, anyone like that is rude and uncalled for. Calling me a poser and princess playing pretend when I've woken up at 5 in the morning to spend 4 hours at the barn when it was -25 degrees outside WITHOUT WIND CHILL (no joke) to get a degree in horses PISSES ME OFF. Next time I suggest you be a bit nicer and don't judge people when they've worked harder then you at horses. One day you're gonna tick off the wrong person (not me, because frankly i don't know you, don't care to know you and will NEVER meet you) and it wont end well.

Edit @ILU:

*Deep breath* How am I being shallow? People are judging me with no other knowledge about me because I ask a question about my little ponies (a show I grew up with and watch when I baby sit my neighbor's kid). It was a question that was meant to be FUN, but people like you and Bob turn it into something more! Seeing as how YOU are the one being the @ss, I'd say you are the one who's shallow.

Thank you very much everyone else for answering nicely and contributing to the actual question. I greatly appreciate it!

I only TD answers that are incorrect or contain misleading information based off of what I actually know. I'm not going to TD something just because I disagree with an opinion, but if I've experienced something and know it to be true, and someone goes and says otherwise despite not ever having done it, I'll TD it.

Like if I was a barrel racer and I knew kids that successfully and safely ran fast patterns, and someone came along and said all kids are incapable of safely doing so, I would TD it because they're stereotyping and generalizing. Or if I were a reiner and had been to six shows in the last three months and seen the latest judging trends of placing, say, the horses with slower movement (total made up example--I don't know what the trends are in reiners, because I don't show reining), and someone who hadn't shown reining in ten years said that judges only place the speed demons, I would TD it...because how can you judge something you haven't seen or done recently? Trends change. I don't TD other people just because I dislike their discipline (and trust me, there are certain disciplines I don't like, and I could make a lot of generalizations/stereotypes based on the few I know or on what I "used" to do in that discipline, but I don't, because I know that there are probably people doing it correctly that I just haven't seen).

For instance, I could TD all info on barrel racing because I don't particularly like it, because if I were to generalize I would say that all barrel horses are idiots and the riders are clueless--all they know is to go fast and hang on. That's because the few times I actually "did" barrel racing (as a kid for fun at little fun shows) that was the truth. And at some of the smaller shows that offer barrels as well as the events that I do, I still see that. However, I know a couple of barrel racers that do not fit that stereotype, and they ride at a much higher level than the level I was experienced with...so for me to say all barrel racers are idiots would be a false and misleading stereotype. If I were to base my opinion only on the ones who are actually doing it correctly, by watching people who I know to be good at it and watching shows that attract the best riders/horses, that stereotype would be proven false.

Every bit of the information I post either comes from personal (and recent) experience in the show ring or factual knowledge that could be researched and verified. If I post information based on past experience (like, for instance, I showed hunter/jumper in high school...so occasionally I'll answer a question about it based on that), I'll make sure to add that it's been awhile and that my answer is based on what was true then. It's up to the person asking the question to make sure the information is relevant to what they're asking at that time.

I also do not look at TD/TU when choosing a best answer...because there's no way to know if the TD is the result of a 12 year old know it all, a disgruntled person who just doesn't like you, or someone who only thinks they know the truth. Sometimes, the best answers have the most TDs, because it's just hard to hear the truth (or because the information in question is not particularly popular among this group). When choosing a best answer or deciding how to use information, always verify. Never go do something to your horse based on what someone online told you, because you have no way of knowing if they know what they're talking about. Use it for suggestions and as a starting point, but go research the information first.

• Cliffy

A. If they're trolls, usually not. They only answer to get a reaction, so anything is a good reaction to them- I ignore. If it's someone who just has no business answering the question because they don't know anything about it and are just pulling info out of their @$$, yes.

B. If I REALLY disagree, then yes. If they are being thoughtful and we just disagree slightly and it's not going to get anyone or any horse hurt, then no.

C. No way, that's childless and pointless.

D. Ha ha no... o.O

E. So many that say the same thing? I don't know, not usually because sometimes I answer before looking at all the other answers and if it's a common question with one real answer, there are likely already answers saying the same things.

LQ: I wouldn't have known this 10 minutes ago, but I just googled it and my favorite is Desert Rose

http://mlp.imagesofher.com/pictures/desertrose.jpg

I don't really TD. I'm on Y!A from my phone and is too darn much trouble to switch to Desktop version just to TD a person. Otherwise A and B.

LQ: umm... I really have no idea. I think I watched that when I was seven and I only remember the pony that was hiding behind the couch or something.

I do. Frequently. For A. and B. Also because a lot of answers are no help to the people asking and they are just MEAN. You ask a question about something and all of sudden your an idiot in the subject. I am sure those people have questions about horses to!.

LQ: I don't do My Little Ponies. Not Being Rude. I have a coloring book. Dorkie, I know. I love to draw and color though:)

• Driver

I rarely will give a thumbs down, and not for any of the reasons you stated. I will do it if I see an answer that is just wrong. Bad information. Not in my opinion, but facts.

However, I would like to give a thumbs down to your two additional details, because there is no need to take that much of an attitude on here. I haven't read the answers of the people you replied to yet, but I'm sure they probably should take it back a notch, too.

I would have to say A and B. If the answer is hurtful, ignorant, or really wrong I do give a TD. People are entitled to give their opinions, but sometimes they step over the line of criticism, almost going out of the way to insult others.

LQ: Since I am a college age guy, it would be quite awkward if I knew anything about that lol.

I hate to admit it but I believe I have on three people. Mostly the ones who use crops or whips as a tool for correcting a horse. Hitting I mean. Using such tools to get a horse to do something in a round pin is one thing to hit one for being rude or things of such in my book in unnecessary.

Normally the answers don't bother me it's just I learned many years ago to train my kids like my horse and my horse like my kids. I don't hit my kids nor do I mine or any horse for any reason. So, just the answers on hitting a horse for respect, mainly.

I believe I've only down three so far. I lived in Wyoming for about seven years so I know about early rising and unbearable cold. I've rode in 60 below weather and what is funny is I could rope and doctor any cattle but when I went to unsaddle my horse I just couldn't get my thumbs to work to undo the cinch.

So, I'd have to warm up at home and go back later to unsaddle my horse. Ever had this problem? You just mentioned 25 degrees reminded me of this. Sorry.

Anything stupid, with clearly wrong information, someone just being trying to be rude or nasty when it's uncalled for, or anything that an 11 year old that misspelled 16 words wrote.

LQ - Luna!

ETA- Like "a girl named billybob" - perfect example. Clearly trying to be rude, and not answering your question at all. I'm 18 years old and still find my little pony cute, I buy them for my boyfriends little sister.

I will thumbs down answers that are stupid and annoying, or that I disagree with. I know that I am not a perfect trainer, obviously, and we are all entitled to our own opinion, but I'm not going to pretending I don't think people on here are wrong sometimes while I am right. I will also thumbs down answers that express a level of illiteracy; anything "ritn lik dis" or anything that says "omgeeee ur pony is SOOO CUUTEEEEE!!!! haha im so crazeee".

• Mel

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and there are lots of ways of doing something. Simply disagreeing is usually not enough for me to give a thumbs down.

I do thumbs down if an answer is advocating a practice that is unsafe, ignorant, or cruel.

Gosh, I don't remember the names of the Ponies, but my fave was a peachy colored one with a rainbow mane and tail and the purple one with a pink and white mane & tail.