Are german shepherds naturally aggressive dogs?

a while back when i would go collect my mail from the mailbox which is connected to the backyard of a house where a german shepherd lives. Everytime i attempted to get the mail the damn thing would bark at me at the top of its lungs. It seemed like it was trying to jump over the fence also. This went on for 2 yrs until i moved. Don't you think most dogs would stop barking after a month or so after they've gotten used to you? Not this damn dog! It felt like the dog has something against you personally.

Thanks for the answers. i've seen other guard dogs such as rotweilers and dobermans bark also, but i must say there was a savage intensity in the german shepherd breed that others don't seem to have.

• Best answer

No dog is naturally aggressive. It's irresponsible owners that make them that way. This dog may have seen you as a threat for approaching to close to "his" territory.

Not naturally aggressive. My dog will bark inside the house at the door if she hears the metal mailboxes being closed across the street. But if I'm sitting on the porch with her the mailwoman will come right up to her and pet her. Maybe it has to do with my presence, but shes protecting her property. Shes real sweet, but if she cant see what or who is making noise on the other side of the door, she'll bark like shes going to bite somebodys leg off. But after shes gained your trust, and dont scare her, shes the sweetest!

Did u live next door to me? Lol I have a German shepherd and Yes they do hate some people more than others, maybe he felt how annoyed u were with him, just b.c u would go every day does not mean that would make him think u are not a threat. In his mind he was protecting his family from you everyday lol. It really just depends on the dog as well.

Source(s): GSD owner

this is why german shepherds make wonderful family and security dogs. german shepherds have a natural instinct to protect their home, and generally do not like strangers for this reason. unless this dog's owners "introduce" you to the dog, this dog will continue to bark anytime you come near it's home/yard, and may even do it after meeting you. but just like the people above said, it is only trying to protect its territory.

Source(s): had a german shepherd growing up

I wouldn't say they are naturally aggressive at all. The dog is merely protecting its territory.

though some dogs are bred to have aggressive traits, it's really all in how they're trained. it didn't matter how long you lived there, every time you go to that mailbox, that dog thinks you're trying to invade its territory.

They are not naturally aggressive but dogs are territorial

My GSD knows my neighbors, but he will bark at them until they come and speak to him..then he quits...but he has been introduced to them and made friends..strangers..he won't let near the fence...its their nature to protect what is theirs..