Are german shepherds naturally aggressive dogs?

a while back when i would go collect my mail from the mailbox which is connected to the backyard of a house where a german shepherd lives. Everytime i attempted to get the mail the damn thing would bark at me at the top of its lungs. It seemed like it was trying to jump over the fence also. This went on for 2 yrs... show more a while back when i would go collect my mail from the mailbox which is connected to the backyard of a house where a german shepherd lives. Everytime i attempted to get the mail the damn thing would bark at me at the top of its lungs. It seemed like it was trying to jump over the fence also. This went on for 2 yrs until i moved. Don't you think most dogs would stop barking after a month or so after they've gotten used to you? Not this damn dog! It felt like the dog has something against you personally.
Update: Thanks for the answers. i've seen other guard dogs such as rotweilers and dobermans bark also, but i must say there was a savage intensity in the german shepherd breed that others don't seem to have.