How could Isaiah's suffering servant be the nation of Isreal?

Whether Isaiah refers to Jesus or not is obviously debatable but to say this is not a messianic prophecy makes no sense. Granted I'm not literate in the original Hebrew however I'll quote Isaiah 49 "And now the lord says- he who formed me in the womb to be his servant to bring Jacob back to him and... show more Whether Isaiah refers to Jesus or not is obviously debatable but to say this is not a messianic prophecy makes no sense. Granted I'm not literate in the original Hebrew however I'll quote Isaiah 49 "And now the lord says- he who formed me in the womb to be his servant to bring Jacob back to him and gather Israel to himself, for I am honoured in the eyes of the lord and my God has been my strength-" how could the nation of Isreal restore itself to the Nation of Israel. In other words Jacob is a metaphor for the people of Isreal so this is saying I created the people of Israel to bring back the people of Israel that doesn't make sense. The one who does promise to do this is the promised messiah from Davidan prophecy. This is just one verse of many that contradict the idea that the suffering servant is the nation of Israel. The only possible explanation is that the messiah and sufferig servant are synonyms