"Fight Club" by Chuck Palahniuk?

Is it appropriate for a high school book club?

I know the general idea of the book and I've read Invisible Monsters by Palahniuk, but I don't want my book club to be mad at me if I pick this book, lol. Is there anything in it that would be totally out of line to read, or is it just gritty and violent? Because I think everyone could handle that.

It looks like a good book, I just want to make sure it will be alright. Thanks!

It's very short so it should suit their attention spans, it's not very good though (imo) - it'll give them a greater appreciation of the movie and might spark some interesting discussions about good movies emerging from pretty unremarkable books.

edit, chad , to make such a statement as: 'it does an accurate representation of the book.'

I don't believe you have read the book because the movie differs considerably.

Movie:

-We first meet Tyler Durden in a passenger jet

-Project Mayhems main purpose is to blow up the banks in the financial district

-The movie ends with the success of project mayhem

Book:

-we first meet Tyler Durden on a nudist beach

-Project Mayhems main purpose is to topple the tallest building in the city on to a museum

-The book ends with Tyler in a mental hospital

that's just 3 of the many differences

Source(s): underwhelmed from reading the book after watching the movie

Depending on the grade of the students, it could be a very interesting reading choice. It has some graphic scenes, but for the most part the only thing you would need to worry about is the language. I would recommend only reading it if the group is mature and can handle it. Also watch the movie, it does an accurate representation of the book.

• Kelley

I wouldn't mind my 15 or 16 year old reading it if they wanted to. However, most parents I know would object to their kids reading it.

The whole sex addict part would make it difficult for parents to approve, but honestly, there's nothing that a high school student couldn't handle.

You should have a backup choice, just in case.

Source(s): I'm a mother of 4 (3 teens) who read and enjoyed the book.
  • Linda

All of Palahniuk's books are great! Definitely read the book :-)