Why do I KEEP GETTING cold sores?

I keep getting cold sores. It's starting to get really bad. I have had them for as long as I can remember, but they have never been this bad. I would get a cold sore on average every six months. About three months ago - which was when I was fired from my job - I got a cold sore. I understood why I got it; it... show more I keep getting cold sores. It's starting to get really bad. I have had them for as long as I can remember, but they have never been this bad. I would get a cold sore on average every six months. About three months ago - which was when I was fired from my job - I got a cold sore. I understood why I got it; it was because I was stressed from losing my job. Then, three weeks after, I got another cold sore. I didn't know why this time, but it didn't seem like a big deal. I started taking vitamin C, zinc, b-12, and a multivitamin every single morning, and more vitamin C at night because I'm around smoking people all the time. That cold sore went away, and two weeks later I got another one. Then, just when it went away, three popped up. Two on my bottom left lip, and one on my top right lip. They are just now going away, I still have the scab from one of them on my bottom lip. This morning I woke up, and I've got yet another one on my bottom lip forming.
I have an appointment with the doctor for the 1st of February, because that's when my insurance kicks in. He's already told me to wait for the insurance because the medicine he is going to give me is $200, and I can't afford that out of my own pocket.
I just don't understand why I keep getting them! I am perfectly happy, not really stressed at all. I am enrolled to start college soon, and I am super excited about that, I have a wonderful relationship with my boyfriend, and my parents are great. Everything is fine.
So, can anyone explain to me why I keep getting them? They have never been this bad before, and I can't figure out why it's so bad!
Also, I have already taken all the precautions to keep from getting a cold sore. I change all my bedsheets and pillow cases after an outbreak, I wash it every two hours, I've used an ice cube and then put alcohol on it every two hours, I don't touch my lip and when I do I make sure to wash my hands. I've done everything I could find on the internet. I did find that lysine is supposed to help, so I am about to go pick some up. NOTHING IS WORKING! I know that once I get the medicine from my doctor it should help, but I don't want to wait that long. They are getting extremely painful and large. It's starting to really get annoying.
Any help would be appreciated, but just so that people answer the question I want answered, I will put it here:
I would like to know the reason why I keep getting cold sores.
Thanks.
Update: I have tried the ice cube thing. It helped make the cold sore go away, but not in two days. Basically, it takes the same exact time to get rid of it, it just doesn't hurt as bad, and is less noticeable. I really don't care about tricks that make them go away because none of them really work. I'm... show more I have tried the ice cube thing. It helped make the cold sore go away, but not in two days. Basically, it takes the same exact time to get rid of it, it just doesn't hurt as bad, and is less noticeable. I really don't care about tricks that make them go away because none of them really work. I'm actually more focused on how I am getting them in the first place. I am still going to go to the doctor when I get my insurance because I am just sick and tired of these things and I would spend any amount of money to just get rid of them. I bought some l-lysine, as I said before, and I am taking my first one with dinner tonight. I will be taking them regularly from now on. Hopefully that will work. Thanks everyone for the advice and the thoughts, but I think this one is going to go to The mom. She really made me think, and I think that she is right. I am a little stressed with all the things I'm having to do to get ready for college, and how I'm going to pay for it. =/ Agai