Why are Australian / New Zealand movies rated so low on imdb?

Seriously.... Snowtown: imdb rating, 6.7. rottentomatoes rating, 93% Animal Kingdom: imdb rating 7.4, rottentomatoes rating, 97% Little fish imdb rating 6.3, rottentomatoes rating 87% The Piano imdb rating 7.5, rottentomatoes rating 90%. and yet... The Boondock saints imdb rating, 7.8, rottentomatoes... show more Seriously....

Snowtown: imdb rating, 6.7. rottentomatoes rating, 93%
Animal Kingdom: imdb rating 7.4, rottentomatoes rating, 97%
Little fish imdb rating 6.3, rottentomatoes rating 87%
The Piano imdb rating 7.5, rottentomatoes rating 90%.

and yet...
The Boondock saints imdb rating, 7.8, rottentomatoes rating 19%

Is there like a system where foriegn movies get a lower mark automatically or something? Any help is appreciated. I understand that you could say oh but 7.5 is a really good mark, but imdb users do rate movies really high, so in the eyes of a viewer on imdb, it would just be ''okay''.

BQ: Does anything like that annoy you?
Update: hey all @liam, Beautiful Kate is a fantastic movie. So subtle in its power, it grows on you and gets an emotional response in an intelligent way. I haven't seen Lantana, but it's in my local library, so I'll definately borrow it out. @rebellion: I agree, I trust rottentomatoes as number one. Even... show more hey all
@liam,
Beautiful Kate is a fantastic movie. So subtle in its power, it grows on you and gets an emotional response in an intelligent way. I haven't seen Lantana, but it's in my local library, so I'll definately borrow it out.

@rebellion: I agree, I trust rottentomatoes as number one. Even though slumdog millionaire is a 7 or 8 out of 10 movie for me, I wouldn't put it in the top 250 movies ever made. Metacritic'is a site I haven't checked out yet. I do trust critics more than the average imdb user, as they have usually studied film and view movies in an objective way and have to remove bias. If they don't, they are removed (i.e, Armond White)