Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 8 years ago

What are some ridiculous reasons for people getting wrongly banned from Yahoo! Answers?

Many have had to create new accounts because Yahoo! banned ("suspended") us for false or frivolous reasons.What are some of the stories? Here are a few examples:

One poster was banned after asking what the best way they could punish themselves for having automatic intrusive thoughts. They described what they did each time they had one, but wanted something to really send the message to their subconsciousness that they would continue to do this until the thoughts stopped. The poster lost their account over that.

Another poster asked what would be the best way they could make money to afford their "drugs." They meant doctor prescribed drugs. They lost their answers account for that, despite not asking about street drugs nor misused medications.

Others lost their accounts after complaining to Yahoo! about wrongful deletions.

So what are some other wrongful banishment tales?

1. Lets not use the word suspensions. Yahoo! misuses the term "suspension" to mean banishment. Lets call it what it really is.

2. Actually, appeals don't always work. Plenty of times people have appealed and were correct, yet were still suspended. I know. I am familiar with the person who asked about last resort methods to stop unwanted thoughts and that case. Then there was the guy who kept asking about a place named Lindsay. He was asking about reviews of the place. But Yahoo! kept deleting it as "chat," assuming it was about some woman, not a place.

3. The exact wording should not matter if the words used have valid uses. What do you call a pharmacist? A druggist. A druggist deals with drugs. Legally-prescribed drugs, but still drugs. They shouldn't be forced to use the word "medication" or "prescriptions" out of fear of some Marxist website banning them, should they?

4. Every time I was reported, I was in the right.

Hey All Girly: Don't listen to these "folks". The IP address being blocked that someone posted happened to my wife also. All she did was answer some questions about Answers Service. Geez, she never even got a violation but a number of thumbs down. Next day, she was blocked her computer and eventually had to switch to another. That's how we knew Yahoo did it. He they neverresponded to her inquiry. Talk about violating their own community guidelines by not being courteous. Two inquiries to be exact. These folks spitting out all of this Yahoo is perfect probably work on the inside or are working for those on the inside. It's their job to tell you that no one gets wrongfully suspended o terminated. If they wern't on the inside how could they be SO sure of the statistics. Sure there are rightful violations and suspensions, but don't buy into the hype that yahoo is 100% right.

Most are suspended for not understanding the rules and how the system works. Many times, it is not the last violation email you get, but the next one where you never get an email for a TOS violation. Or it is that last violation email was one of many. If you have enough violations, you can get suspended for asking "AmI pretty?".

Let's look at your examples:

The last one about "drugs" would be simple, that is indicating illegal activity, even if not meant by the person. However it may have had as much to do with the solicitation for money making ideas. Unless we had the entire post we can not tell. But we also assume the person appealed and was denied. The staff person would have looked at the entire history.

For the first, that would not be the suspension reason, again, unless there more more violations. If the asker had asked about "self-harm" that is suspendable. Again, did they appeal.

You can not go by what people tell you about there suspension. The last violation they may have gotten was a minor one, but it is usually one of many. It is normally too many or a really bad one.

• Dad

Good evening, ☆All Girly♀!

Members who ask for best ways to obtain money to afford drugs will be suspended rightfully regardless of whether they mean prescription drugs and not illegal drugs. Reason: Members are required to ask clearly, to give full comprehension of what they are asking. By simply saying you want to buy drugs, and failing to say what type or what for, you make what you are asking very vague, and leave yourself reportable. See the Community Guidelines for confirmation:

Ask clearly.

"Keep your questions succinct, but be descriptive enough to help people understand what you're asking. Correct spelling and grammar help people find your questions, and you'll get better answers when others can clearly make out what you're asking" http://answers.yahoo.com/info/community_guidelines

Rest assured that members will not be suspended for asking for help with automatic intrusive thoughts. There are more to the story than you know, I assure you ;-)

Members will get their accounts suspended, and a possible ban from the site, for filing excessive complaints about why they were suspended. When a member is suspended, he is allowed to appeal once. A second appeal may be acceptable, but definitely not a third. Filing numerous complaints and emailing the Team excessively about a suspension is considered trolling, and is a violation of the CG ( Community Guidelines.)

I am not aware of any wrongful banishment tales that occurred on Yahoo! Answers, except for when an account is hacked by a spammer and is used to spam the site. In this case, and if you can prove that your account was hacked to spam the site, your account will be reinstated upon review.

While I will not rule out the possibility of the staff making mistakes ( we are all humans), I can assure that it is rear when mistakes occur on the Staff part, and this is because they use pre-cautionary measure when taking action against a member's account to avoid hurting their outstanding reputation.

I recently had my IP address blocked for responding to a customer satisfaction survey. I scored a few areas low. A couple of hours later, my device was blocked from Answers. Everything else worked. I knew it was an IP issue when I was able to access Answers from another computer. Never had a violation. Why send out surveys if you get punished for answering honestly? No doubt some yahoo will report this answer because they have some cult loyalty. Perhaps it will be a moderator who simply doesn't want the truth to be known. Answerbag.com may be more to your liking. No deducted points for asking a question. Fewer trolls. Nothings perfect, but at least you're treated fairly.

I find it strange that anyone knows for certain just why they were suspended because YA never gives a direct reason,& I certainly don't believe it when others say they were wrongly suspended,because everyone has the right of appeal & if the appeal is refused you know they did deserve it.I have had two suspensions overturned & the reporter lost all credibility with YA,so I know they ARE fair when it comes to reviewing the suspension.Every suspension that stands after appeal is truly deserved,&don't tell me it's not.

• Gone

There are no ridiculous reasons. The rules are clearly stated in the TOS and CG. Everyone who gets an account here must agree to those rules to complete the sign up process. Everyone has the right to choose not to join. I have been a Y!A member since 2.10.2006. I have been suspended over 100 times. Not once did I not deserve it. Not once have I seen someone get suspended who didn't deserve it. A couple years ago I decided to stop playing the blame game and start following the rules I had agreed to follow when I signed up. I think I have had 2 violations since I decided to try to follow the rules.

My main YA account was the first one that was suspended for abusing the Yahoo system. ALL the other account suspensions from YA happened AFTER my account was suspended, BASED ON FALSE REPORTS by trolls who DESPISE me, for a very good reason/ I complained long enough and lout enough about the VICIOUS and obsessive abuse I was receiving that it got to the point that some one whose user name was Nemesis of okltonola created a Yahoo GROUP and recruited 35 other trolls to join him to get my count suspended. One the most ridiculous reasons claimed that I was promoting Dr.Vaknin's posts to the Yahoo online abuse study group and Yahoo as my personal website or blog. This is ridiculous claim, and it has been used again within the last week, because d DO NOT HAVE a personal web-site OR blog to promote on YA.

I KNOW how to appeal FALSE violation reports. I win MORE THAN 80% of my appeals. I've even won appeals by acknowledging that I DID violate the guidelines. IF you are your friends have had a Yahoo account banned from accessing YA, they violated the Yahoo's terms of service enough to DESERVE having their accounts suspended. The suspension of MY account was the test case. I do NOT use multiple Yahoo accounts signed up with YA to abuse other members. I'm fine with JUST ONE Yahoo account signed up with YA.

Yahoo DOES NOT BAN ISP ADDRESSES.

Source(s): !7 YEARS AND COUNTING personal experience being online since January, 1995. EVERY INTERNET FORUM HAS TROLLS. We are BOTH abuse victims and abusers in self-defense. It's a psychological survival of the fittest in the digital/online world. I am afraid of NO ONE when I am online, INCLUDING YAHOO INC.

Well I experience Asking & Answering Questions on Yahoo Answers. The Wrestling Section is my favourite component to all-time when you consider that of the kind of Questions which might be being Asked. I most likely Answer than Ask questions right here on Yahoo. I first discovered approximately Yahoo Answers used to be whilst I used to be shopping for this Wrestling Question and this internet site recognise as Yahoo Answers got here up so I began shopping for questions within the seek field. I then created my account and such and such. The first actual position I went after I signed myself up used to be the Wrestling Section wherein questions approximately Wrestlemania 26 have been published on right here and I responded them. I attempt to Answer inquiries to my first-rate abilities, however often I do not deliver well satisfactory solutions because of no longer figuring out the query good adequate. Its fairly amusing to be right here on Yahoo Answers. The Sections I most likely keep on are the Wrestling, Video & Online Games, Playstation, & Basketball Sections. And I additionally like speakme to different Users as good.

False complaints from other users.....