How should I handle boyfriend not wanting to show me his financial statements?

I have been seriously dating my boyfriend, we talk marriage, we are both in our late 30s never married before. I am relatively well off, own multiple properties. He rents a cheap room, has no expenses other than gas and food and the rent, works full time, but is always griping that he's broke and lately I have... show more I have been seriously dating my boyfriend, we talk marriage, we are both in our late 30s never married before. I am relatively well off, own multiple properties. He rents a cheap room, has no expenses other than gas and food and the rent, works full time, but is always griping that he's broke and lately I have been giving him money.

We've been fighting a lot lately because I accuse him of hiding his money or else lying about his financial situation. He never pays for our dates, I don't know how he can be that broke when he makes about $2400 after taxes each month and his rent is $600 and the other expenses are food and gas yet I pay for my half on dinners or else cover his too and now he asks for gas money and little by little more.

I finally asked that he show me his bank statements because he said I am insulting him by picking apart his bank statements. I just don't want to be suckered and used. His response was that he can't show me them, that I either believe him or think he is a liar. How should I proceed? Do I just blindly take his word on it?
Update: Correction: Should read: I am picking apart his finances, not bank statements.
Update 2: What bothers me is he's making it look like I'm the one into money, pretending I"m embarrassing and insulting him about his financial situation when I have never taken a penny from him and on top of it I'm the one giving him money! I don't know how to successfully handle this as far as getting... show more What bothers me is he's making it look like I'm the one into money, pretending I"m embarrassing and insulting him about his financial situation when I have never taken a penny from him and on top of it I'm the one giving him money! I don't know how to successfully handle this as far as getting to the truth of the matter.