Tuesday P asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

Border collies vs. Australian shepherds?

My husband and I currently live in an apartment with a park next to it. We are both very active so we're aware of the amount of exercise we will need to give both breeds (it actually excites us). We are perfectly fine with the obedience training it may require. However, we do plan on having children at some point. Not now, but within 2-3 years. Which of these two breeds (or maybe similar breeds) would be the best?

• Best answer

I totally agree with 4Her. While neither is an ideal apartment dog, it can be done. I've seen two working German Shepherds live in a studio apartment without a problem. It's all about commitment.

With a Border Collie, you really have to plan on 6 hours of attention to the dog a day. If you get a dog that's mellower, great. And that's 6 hours regardless of how many kids you have.

To keep an Aussie sane, you have to figure a 2-4 of hours of work. They adapt a little bit better to kids and to slowing down with age, but they will still need attention 2-3 years down the road when you've started a family.

I have a couple of friends who have an 8 year old Aussie. They got her shortly before their wedding knowing that they'd be taking time off for the wedding and for their post-grad move. They were out with the dog, playing with the dog, and having a grand old time with the dog. Fast forward 5 years and they now have 2 kids, the parents have VERY separate interests, and the dog spends her life in the backyard bored out of her mind. They've had to redo their fence 3 times because the dog burrowed out (I would have, too) and I know that if it weren't for the kids, they would have given the dog to us several years ago. They just didn't prepare.

I'm not saying this is you, but it's a true story that needs to be considered. Kids are a game changer.

I would not ordinarily recommend either breed for an apartment, but it sounds as though you may be aware of what you are getting into, and I did once successfully live in a studio apartment with a Belgian Malinois, so I can't say "never".

For a first-time owner, or even just a first-time owning a herding breed, I would steer you towards an Australian Shepherd. They are slightly less wired and "easier" (to live with, to train, to keep occupied, ti tire out) than a Border Collie in general.

I would recommend finding a local dog training club in your area (obedience, agility, etc) and then asking if they have any members who breed either breed. Go to a show or and meet their dogs, decide if they are producing dogs that are what you are looking for, and you're all set with a local, reputable breeder. Still ask tough questions about genetic health testing, etc, but generally word-of-mouth or referrals from clubs or other non profit organizations is your best bet to start looking. Also be open to a dog from rescue - there are many wonderful dogs of both breed or that are mixes of either breed or similar to either breed in rescues. You're the kind of adopter that most rescues crave - someone willing to actually exercise and train a high-energy, young dog that was dumped when it stopped being cute and kept being energetic and bored.

Good luck!

I live in an apt. I would tell you to get a smaller Aussie. Border Collies are great dogs, but they just don't stop. Aussie's have an "off" switch.. they'll lie down, relax, and be quit at the end of the day... I really don't believe you are capable of tiring out a Border Collie.

We're going to buy a house with 10 acres. I'd consider getting a BC then.

Ask to for a mellow pup. It will be easier for you. I have to say, we send our Aussie to doggie day care. He loves it. he loves to be around dogs and run all day. He comes home, and for the next two days, he'll sleep it off.

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING... You really need to buy from a really good breeder who breeds for temperament. Most people won't tell you this, but some of these dogs that are bred for show are a bit crazy, especially the BC. Crazy as in shy, hyper, nippy, growling and destructive I was at a pet expo yesterday in California, and I brought my aussie... There were other Aussie's there, one 10 days younger than my aussie pup...in comparison he was crazy and really didn't even look like the same breed of animal.

You simply don't want a crazy dog in a small apartment.

Also, you wouldn't want a crazy dog around children. My dog, loves children. He does herd, but he's not aggressive and stops if you scold him.

My only, and I mean only regret is .... not getting a pup that will mature into a smaller dog. My pup's sire weighs 68lbs, which is huge for an Aussie

I get along better with males than females, but i would say females are smaller.

I think these pups are really nice http://horsecreekaussies.com/

I purchased my dog from http://www.outwestaussies.com/.

Australian shepherd are very smart. The downfall is the biting and nipping. Both breeds will try to heard you around and it takes a while of redirecting their energy to stop this. I suggest a breed of less biting and one that can deal with little kids even in an adult to senior age. The American Pit Bull Terrier is a great dog for children and its patient and high tolerant to pain. So it makes a great dog when raised right and it's good for all the pulling and climbing that babies and older children like to do with dogs. I also suggest you take a look at www.dogbreedinfo.com to learn more about this breed and other breeds.

Source(s): My Aunt owns a border collie mix and it took years for it to stop nipping and biting and my sister owns a Pitt Bull and the Pitt has an awesome temperament towards kids

an aussie with no job can be hard to keep as they will try to "herd" your kids instead. All aussie needs a job to do, maybe 3 or 4 jobs ie: get the newpaper/mail, keep the kids away from the streets, learn his obedience and agility and be a therapy dog.

for border collies, Their herding instinct is strong within this dog, and because of this, it is not unusual for the breed to have tried to herd young children if left alone with them. This is especially the case for households who have not trained their dog properly, or know very little about them. It is also usual for the collie to "nip" at the ankles (as they do to the livestock to follow directions)

Border collies are great but i would not get one if you live in a apartment they need a lot of space in general. But I own Austrailian shepherds i would recommend them. There is also a new part of the breed called minis and toys. Minis are medium size and they give you the shepherd energy and athletics but they do not need as much exercise as the full size. Good Luck with your new dog!

Source(s): Personal experience!
  • Emma

The dog is extremely agile, able to crouch, spring and corner skilfully for the purpose of driving the recalcitrant sheep or cattle into line. The Border's coat should not be overly abundant yet should be double and thick enough to be weather resistant. In appearance it is most like the collie but with shorter length of feathers. There is a "smooth coat" variety of this breed, however this variety appears mostly in Great Britain and the most popular type of coat is the "rough coat". The dog is of medium height and build and comes in many colors, but white should never be predominant.

This breed is highly instinctive. Coincidentally, both The Border collie and the Newfoundland have been used in the genetic studies of the Human Genome Research Project as the DNA markers for comparison of strong inherited behavioral tendencies. The Border Collie is noted as one of the most intelligent of breeds and is not happy without a job to do. It learns quickly and enjoys the challenge of learning. This is not a dog who will be happy left alone for hours in a house and also should not be left unsupervised in an unfenced area. This dog needs mental and physical stimulation to be happy and healthy.

About Border Collies - http://www.dog-pound.net/collie/border-collie-info...

The Australian Shepherd has thick long fur, with a variety of coat colorings from blue merle, black red merle with or without white or tan markings. In fact each Australian Shepherd has a unique pattern of markings. The Australian Shepherd has a double coat that is weather resistant, that is medium texture and length, it can be straight or wavy.

Australian Shepherd are known for their obedience. The Australian shepherd has a great deal of stamina, they are bold, alert, confident, independent smart and responsive. The Australian Shepherd requires daily mental and physical activities. With proper exercises and training Australian Shepherds are loyal, devoted and obedient companions without stimulation they can act out and become difficult.

Australian Shepherd Facts - http://www.dog-pound.net/australian-shepherd/austr...

I have an aussie mix and she is not good with kids. She bites and plays aggressively. I'm in college now, but if I got her when I got my first dog at age four, we would have no choice but to take her back to the shelter for safety reasons. Not saying that they are all like that, but aussies are way feistier than other dogs. I loved my cattle dog lab mix who passed away at age 15. She was active and kind and perfect.

My sister has had both, she FAR prefers the Aussies, they have more of a mind and don't become so compulsive about their behavior. Hers were all farm dogs, not sheep herders. The border collies were 'nuts' in her opinion, even when they were used as working dogs on dairy cattle.

• steve

both are nice dogs with kids. But border collies are mexicans and teh austtralians ar you no.