Being a young parent vs. being an older parent, GO! :D?

It's been a conversation that's been on the tip of my tongue all week and I just really want to hear some views. Young = <20 and early 20's. Older = Late twenties, thirties upwards. Thank you, can't wait to read some answers :)

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best answer

I had my first at 17 and i loved being a parent, I went on to have 5 more by the time I was 26. I found it really easy. I'm 42 now and started again 4 years ago when my daughter gave me custody of my baby grandson. I have found it a lot harder this time round, I have asthma which i didn't when mine were small and i'm also a lot more unfit. I think younger is good for the energy side but not always easy to be calm and make rational decisions, I find now i'm older i'm more patient so i think both have good and bad sides.

• 8 years ago

Personally I think that being older is better my reasons for that are:

Older usually has at LEAST a high school deploma

They most likely have a job

They hopefully have a place of there own

They prolly have there own vehicle

Older parents usually don't have the want or need to go out and party every night (they got that out in hishschool)

They hopefully are married (can't get married in hs)

And just all in all usually just the better age for having a child

• 8 years ago

I can only attest to my own experiences. I had my first child at 19; was full of energy and idealism about how I was going to parent and I like that now with a twelve year old, I'm still young enough to remember the mindset of a teen. There is no one way or the other that's better in terms of age. If you want to parent, you can do it successfully at most stages in your life.

• 8 years ago

GOOD THINGS:

----Young -----

1. typically they have more energy

2. usually less personal health problems, if any

3. can relate to their child more because of a smaller age difference

4. the parents, if they live an average lifespan, will be around for a longer period of their child's life.

5. young women have a stronger physical capacity to recover from the delivery process than older women who would take a longer time

-----Older-----

1. research has shown that older women have lesser inner conflicts and changes of moods during pregnancy than younger women.

2. An older woman is also more disciplined and has more self control in being able to avoid food or drinks that might be harmful to her and her growing fetus.

3. better chance at having a life time partner

4. better chance at having a reliable car

5. better chance at having their own home

6. sometimes a higher education

7. better chance of having a high paying job or a good career

BAD THINGS:

-----young----

1. some are not ready to give up the typical teen lifestyle

2. no job or low paying job

3. juggling school, homework, studying, a job, a taking care of a baby can be very challenging to do.

4. the majority of the time the father does not stay in the picture

---------- older--------

1. older women have been so used to looking after themselves for so many years that they find it very difficult to adjust to their additional roles of taking care of their babies

2. getting pregnant at a later stage in life also involves either having more children in quick succession or being content with only one child since the biological clock keeps ticking away

3. higher chance of gestational diebeties

4. higher chance of hypertension

5. higher chance of downs syndrom

6. less energy

7. kids will have to take on elderly parents at an earlier age

Source(s): `
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.