Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens Β· 8 years ago

I have been providing daily meals for an elderly man who has no family for a while now. I really enjoy cooking?

for him and want to continue but my hubby and I will be going on vacation for 10 days in June. This elderly man is very set in his ways, won't even take food out of the freezer to micro, too much effort, lol. I usually make simple things, actually I make extra quantities for dinner and my hubby brings them to him in the morning so he can have them for lunch. He goes to bed by 5pm. I make things like stew, pot pies, chicken cutlets and mashed potatoes, things I know he'll eat. Well here's the question: Any ideas for foods that will keep in the fridge, not freezer for that long. Any ideas how I can care for him while away? He doesn't want meals on wheels, he used to live on turkey sandwiches. Please put on your thinking caps. We've known him for 30 years and he's very dear to us.

"My suggestion" is that you go ahead and cook up for the time you will be gone, go to the trouble (if it is) of labeling with dates.....stick them in a Freezer yours, his or ?....

Then I would think (hope) that you could find someone who would be willing to thaw, heat microwav (what ever needs to be done and have them take the meals to him each day or every other day...

Of course you would have to spend and hour or so with the person and introduce them but knowing how he is, that sounds like your best bet......HOPE THAT HELPS....Even go to one of the Churchs near his home and ask someone to do it if you will prepare.....

I used to be a police officer and several times something like that would come up and one of us or our spouse would take the food or check on them what ever it was that needed to be done.

I can't believe people have gotten so bad that SOMEONE wouldn't help you especially if you prepared them and all they had to do was heat them and take them to him....GOOD LUCK...

Source(s): SFC

Maybe the smallest packages of lunch meat you can find, and sandwich makings?

Will he open a can? Canned soup? Canned spagettios? Ravioli?

Bread keeps longer in the frig. I suppose he wants mayo or butter on the sandwich? Sandwiches made and kept in the frig without any dressing would keep a while. Maybe he'll have to have meals on wheels just for the last four or five days?

My family likes the "Deli" or the "Oscar Myer" sliced meats that come in a plastic container. There is a lid that closes. There are different types of sliced meats such as ham, beef, pastrami, and many more.

We buy two loaves of bread and freeze them. We take out what we need for the day in the morning. The bread defrosts fast.

You and your husband are very kind and sweet people. Have a wonderful vacation.

• Pasta will NOT last long in the fridge, I would suggest buying several kinds of lunch meats and slice some tomatoes etc and have fresh bread for him..if he fixed himself sandwiches before he can do it now..he can live without a good meal all the time for 10 days, it won't kill him...also have some fruits around too..enjoy your vacation and don't worry about him..=)

There are various kinds of foods that are already preserved in one way or another that you could use. The most-preserved ones could be saved for the last days (...maybe you could put big notes on each saying which day they're for, or even numbered 1-10 with breakfast, lunch or dinner, or leave him a note for what to eat every day?). Preserved foods have usually been dried, smoked, or fermented...or they're in vinegar, brined/have a lot of salt, or have a lot of sugar (all ways that foods have been preserved over history). Here are some foods that will last a long time or at least 10 days in the frig, or even in the cabinet, and even sandwiches can be frozen. Perhaps you could just have someone deliver a one-time load of stuff from your freezer to his frig, for those last days? DAIRY ...yogurt, cheeses, butter ...even sour cream and cottage cheese (especially the individual serving containers ...and milk if it's bought with a late date and kept in a cold area of the frig FRUITS: whole fruits dried fruits canned fruits for awhile even open (buy in heavy syrup for extra sugar) apple sauce GRAINS: cereals breads batter breads like banana bread, brownies, cupcakes, danishes, cookies, etc crackers, pretzels, graham crackers, etc. VEGGIES: bags of salad, coleslaw, etc carrots dried "chip" veggies dried soybeans or other veggies from Whole Foods or Asian markets MEATS + PROTEIN smoked salmon cooked bacon ham jerky dried sausages cold cuts (the ones with lots of preservatives) hardboiled eggs (in shell) OTHER: peanut butter and jelly pickles, pickled veggies nuts mayo, and almost all regular condiments including chutneys If he will open cans, that would increase the options a lot too, even if he won't heat them. For example, he could open an individual can of tuna then dump ketchup or mustard in it, etc. Vienna sausages in cans are reasonable, and there are other meats in cans, as well as fruits, veggies that wouldn't be bad cold, etc. Also, he might be willing just to take a bowl or plate of something out of the freezer and ONLY HAVE TO put in the FRIG for the next night, but which time it should be nice defrosted. (I guess he'll be eating only cold or room temp foods the whole 10 days if he won't even use the microwave.) Will come back in a minute maybe with more. . . .

• S

This very, very, sweet of you.Maybe fix a couple of things that will last a couple of days Then canned fruit, deli meats that will last a couple of days like you go girl said Milk and cereal.He probably won't like it but those survival meals that are pre-packaged. Yuky... I know, but you deserve to get away.You could also call aging sevices to see if an aid of some type that is bonded and insured could come in and fix him meals for a few days. Good luck. Have a nice, safe trip.

• bbgns

Will he use a toaster? There are those Bacon or sausage and egg "pastries" I like them. Also microwave breakfast bowls. He might use a microwave for them.

Also, toast with peanut butter is easy

He is a very fortunate man to have wonderful, caring folks such as you & hubby in his life. Good for you :)

Air tight containers

Chicken & Rice

Brown rice + precut veggies + chicken

Skim or 1 percent milk or fortified soy milk.

Fresh fruit. Keep at least one kind of fruit washed, cut, and stored in a clear plastic container where your kids can see and grab it.

Hummus. Dip carrots in this chickpea spread.

Low-fat yogurt. Mix fresh fruit into vanilla or plain.

100 percent fruit juice. Dilute it with water or seltzer. Try pre-diluted Wadda Juice single-serve bottles or Mott's for Tots boxes for car trips.

Bagged salad. Look for darker greens like baby spinach or a mix of multicolored lettuces like mesclun or field greens.

Lunch meats like turkey and lean roast beef.

Tortillas. They're a fun alternative to bread.

Fresh veggies. Buy your own to wash and chop. Or pick up prewashed, precut veggies like broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, snow peas, and celery to serve as a snack, toss into salads, or steam.

Low-fat cheese. Stock reduced-fat block cheese such as Cracker Barrel 2 percent milk cheese, reduced-fat string cheese, Laughing Cow minis, and part-skim shredded cheese.

How about the "Lunchables" that kids take to school? Although, they are probably high in sodium.

Anyway, God bless you for doing that. ( :

i recommend pasta or soups; they usually have a long fridge life. sandwiches as well