siren asked in HealthWomen's Health · 8 years ago

St John's wort and menstrual cycle.?

I've only done a google search on this so far, other than visiting a doctors office (which I plan to) I don't know where to start to get more information. I've been taking St. John's wort for 3 weeks now and am not on birth control, my period is nearly 2 weeks late; there is no chance of pregnancy.

I've yet to find any articles that hasn't definitively stated that St. John's wort doesn't affect your cycle. What I did find are multiple postings from women asking the same question,"Can St. John's wort cause you to miss your period?"

Perhaps, later on down the line a study will show there's a possibility of a correlation. For now, I'm curious to know if there are other women on yahoo answers, not on birth control, who've missed/delayed a period about the time they've started using St. John's wort?

• Heidi

Yes, it's actually quite common. St. John's Wort also affects the effectiveness of birth control, so I think that it affecting our bodies' hormones is also very likely. It's a great herb, but it does mess with hormones. If you don't have a period for like, several months, then I think you should be concerned. But just two weeks, if there's no chance of pregnancy, isn't all that rare.

Happening to me too.

Same thing is happening to me.