Maxx
Maxx asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 8 years ago

Did dinosaurs cause climate change?

----------------------------

FOR THE RELATED ARTICLE SEARCH ON:

"Did dinosaurs cause climate change? Huge creatures may have contributed to their own demise because they produced so much flatulence, say scientists"

----------------------------

Professor Graeme Ruxton of St Andrews University, Scotland, said the giant animals spent 150 years emitting the potent global warming gas, methane.

According to Professor Ruxton and his co-researcher David Wilkinson, of Liverpool John Moores University, this is only a fifth of what was produced when Dinosaurs walked the Earth.

'In fact, our calculations suggest these dinosaurs may have produced more methane than all the modern sources, natural and human, put together,' said Mr Wilkinson to the Sunday Times.

The research is due to be published in an academic journal this week.

----------------------------

----------------------------

Jonathan - Providing a link would probably knock the question out of the Yahoo Answers queue. You may not be aware of that problem. But I provided the article title to search on to find the original article. That's the best anyone can do without risking non-publication of the question in the queue. Everything above is a direct quote from the article at dailymail.co.uk.

----------------------------

pegminer - If dinosaurs really haven't been around for 65 million years then maybe you can explain to me why they are finding dino bones that are still fresh, unfossilized and still containing soft tissue with blood cells. That's a real mystery hun? And notice the clip below is from MSNBC, they are not exactly a bunch of right-wingers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N22jYppVjZI

Youtube thumbnail

----------------------------

Sylvia - Then if you believe all of this silly nonsense maybe you could tell me why it isn't warming today, because according to the study, we are producing more methane into the air now than the dinosaurs ever did.

See the chart at the top of page 2 of the study

http://download.cell.com/current-biology/pdf/PIIS0...

----------------------------

It would have been nice if you'd bothered to provide the link to the ACTUAL article, rather than quote from popular media reports which probably said nothing at all about even which "academic journal." Even _you_ didn't provide a link to your source. And I doubt they did, either. Kind of like "playing telephone."

By the way, it's in the Correspondence section, which I believe is NOT necessarily a peer-reviewed section within Current Biology. ("Correspondence is a flexible format that can be used to report original findings that have broad interest and can be presented concisely; to comment on something published previously in Current Biology; or, in principle, to make any comment that is relevant to biologists if the editors judge it to be likely to interest our readers.") Still, conjectures like this are interesting to consider.

See links below for the full text of the correspondence in question.

EDIT: I will expect at least this much from you anytime you say or quote anything that contains a phrase with the meaning of "academic journal." Citations please. Always. And if you quote any web page, always include the citation link so the fuller context can be readily observed without wasting valuable time.

EDIT AGAIN: The written text, as published and small as it is, wasn't adequately checked for grammar. See if you can spot the mistake(s).

EDIT AGAIN AGAIN: Young earthers are religiously insane (there are no young earthers who aren't driven to it by religious insanity) and simply unable to parse ANY science at all and cannot be trusted to interpret any of it, either. It's no different than insisting the earth is flat and the center of the universe and equally insane. No wonder you remain completely immune to evidential reasoning.

I think you mean the absence of polar ice caps, higher sea levels, and much warmer temperatures. It has been shown that pCO2 was much higher than at present. Further, the continents were proximally located near the equator during the Mesozoic. Rifting of Pangaea early in the Triassic was the result of volcanism that released CO2. This is also seen with the flood basalts such as the Deccan and Siberian traps, which undoubtedly released tremendous volumes of CO2 into the atmosphere, accounting for the much warmer Mesozoic temperatures

In my opinion, this is a load of crap (pun intended). I'm no longer really surprised for what is trying to be passed off as climate science.

I read the CBS report on this "story". It's also not surprising that the MSM likes this kind of stuff. Here are some quotes:

"(The scientists) ... did their best to get an accurate estimate of how much gas these big dinosaurs would have created, but their answers are still just estimates based on multiple assumptions, they warn."

"There is currently no way to tell what kind of bacteria lived in the digestive systems of dinosaurs, what gasses they produced, or what those digestive systems would have looked like, but Wilkinson thinks they would have produced methane like today's animals."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57429334/dinos...

So what we have are "estimates" with "multiple assumptions" with no way of telling what was happening in a dinosaur's digestive system or what their digestive system even looks like. Yet, that doesn't stop these scientists from "thinking" they would produce methane like today's farm animals and feeding their "estimates" and "assumptions" into computer models.

I don't know how this can be called science and I don't see how this is an MSM story. Who funds this kind of crap?

It's amusing that you ask a question about dinosaurs, when you yourself believe that the Earth is less than 10,000 years old. It's no wonder that you fall in lockstep with the tactics of the Heartland Institute, who, just as you, will say anything to advance denial, whether they actually think it's true or not.

For someone that believes in a young Earth, you don't find it hypocritical that you ask questions about dinosaurs and use research on the sun produced by astrophysicists?

I haven't had problems putting links in my questions, maybe because I haven't linked to the same anti-science videos thousands of times in my answers.

Here is the actual academic article in question:

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960...

This strikes me as more "thought experiment" than hard science, but the implication in any case seems to be not that dinosaurs caused climate change but that their extinction may have contributed to it.

I'll leave to others to debate where the dinosaurs are lurking today whose highly improbable existence would be contrary to the massive evidence for contemporary climate change being mostly human-caused. This could be one possibility, however: http://www.politicalcartoons.com/cartoon/ed3219d9-...

I don't think so seems kinda silly, however no one knows how exactly they died such as the meteorite theory which there is no proof of and my theory is that they died due to cold weather climate change but who knows.

Source(s): My brain

Nobody knows how they died , It could be a asteroid or comet , Diarrhea , Rodents

eating their eggs or young or some kind of disease . Maybe the Earth shifted its Axis or orbit by a few miles and it caused a Ice age .

After the big meteorit which killed all the dinos and there were no life maybe..

-If They DID, then OUR Days are "Numbered" ! :o Because WE are "Acting" on the Environment- MORE than They ever did !! :o

Source(s): Is Earth's "History"- REPEATING Itself ?! :o