Have you ever felt you were an inconvenience to your parents?

I personally feel that quiet frequently... whenever I ask my parents for money or to pick me up from school, even though I actually need that money and I can't take public transport home. And as well as the house rules that come across as quite strict (i.e you are only allowed a birthday party every 7 years, etc)

BQ: How many siblings do you have? Are they male or female? Are you the youngest/ oldest/ middle child?

BQ2: What's your relationship with your parents like?

BQ3: Favourite movie mums/dads ?

thanks for any answers. Reasons why are highly appreciated.

• Best answer

Hey Suicidal!

Oh wow, I can really relate to what Jim said about Emjob's answer. I'm not much of a complainer, and I won't ask much from my parents but when I hear about people out there who've got it much worse I'll feel like I don't have a right to complain about anyone or anything. I am really interested reading answers like these though it reminds me of the whole "nature vs. nurture debate" how people's lives are shaped; whether it's nurture the very influence that affects after birth or how nature/genetic makeup is what makes them who they are.

I've definitely read more about great writers, doctors, artists who've come from really harsh backgrounds or had horrible beginnings but then again, people are only interested with people who've had coloured profiles-- rather if you come from a privileged household that's frowned upon in the sense ("oh so and so had a rich dad, they didn't have to work for anything") sad, but true. With Emma and Brent it's both factors that worked together which helped them do better and achieve so many good things for themselves, they're probably too modest to say so but we can all genuinely see it to be true. It'll happen for Harrison Ford too, I don't doubt it one bit. :)

As for me, I do feel that-- honestly who hasn't? Okay maybe not kids who're spoiled rotten and get pampered with everything. I felt bad for asking my dad for money for furniture when I first moved to UK. It wasn't after a year when he came to visit that he started yelling at me for not asking for money lol. He does too much, he pays for my other siblings boarding and expenses overseas and school fees, university isn't cheap and he doesn't get loans plus my sisters can kinda really get his blood pressure high at times. So even though my dad will say "I honestly don't mind just tell me and i'll get whatever you need sorted" I'll still feel terrible. Plus who needs furniture? Pfftt :P

My mum and dad have always given everything to us but it's all within our limits. If we traveled the kids would be in economy and parents in first class, everything had to be earned. My dad always said that for us to get that "drive" to achieve things and get things done we'd have to work for it (chores, good grades things like that) or we'd turn into those kids who'll "expect" money and make demands for it. We all knew he could afford it, and I'd be lying if there hasn't been arguments and conflicts with my dad over things we've wanted and he refused to get but I really see how well it worked out in the end. I went to a private school where I saw the "product" of "rich parenting" and spoiled kids, they'd get so much pocket money to spend every weekend that when expensive materialistic things weren't enough for them they'd resort to other things that were more "exciting" like drugs etc. :/ That's my experience anyways... another reason my parents had a lot of strict rules for us. I'll mostly feel like an inconvenience to my dad because of my siblings, his blood pressure gets really high because he's so worried about all of us in different countries so I don't ask because 1) I already feel like I don't need much and 2) my siblings ask for so much+he has such a high pressured job and don't want to add on to that... Lol I'll stop the essay now. :P

BA: 2 older sisters, 1 younger brother but you already knew this. ;D I'm the middle child.

BA2: I get along with both, fine but I'm much closer to my dad and brother. I love my mum to bits but there's not a lot I can talk to her about. With dad, I can talk to him for days on end about anything and everything, we're so alike and he takes such a keen interest in what I study, gaming, just everything in general (everyone else rolls their eyes and finds it all boring) but my dad's so cool about it. :) :) :) I just gravitate towards him more than my mum or my older sisters...

BA3: I love Frances McDormand in Almost Famous she's a fantastic mom, she's a professor and smart, funny, she allows her son to go on a tour bus. Such a cool mum. I'd aspire to be a mother like her. :) Also Sarah Connor! Oh hell yes to Sarahhh effin'' Connor!!! :P :P

Yes because I have a disability that affects my social communication skills so they pay more attention to me than my sister, even though we both deserve equal attention. Also, my parents aren't rich, so a lot of times they have to split the cost of things, so when I ask for money I make sure that one. they can afford it at the time, 2. If they are willing to split the cost (class, workshop, event) and not try to manipulate each other to pay more (I try to keep common ground with this; It is very difficult because my parents are legally seperated) 3. I need the money (for groceries or haircuts, or for classes, workshops,etc).

BQ: I have a younger sister who is 20 years old and female. She is the youngest. I have two older half sisters from my dad's side. So I would consider myself in the middle. I just wanted to add my relationship with my sister is very good and she is very supportive and friendly about my disability.

BQ2: My mother and I have a very positive relationship. I speak on the phone with her everyday.Sometimes, I tell her to go out and do things because I feel she could take more action in her life. My father and I have improved our relationship. I speak on the phone with my father at least once a week. My parents have very different views on medication. My father is not supportive of the use of psychotropic medications, which I sometimes try to avoid discussing with him because I have been in the hospital and I feel I benefit from medication and therapy. My mother is supportive of the use of psychotropic medications for me.

Your welcome.

Source(s): Growing up with Asperger's Syndrome. I think the same may be true for any person who grew up with an invisible disability.
  • Ah yes. My parents are the sort that would do anything to achieve their odd little mental image of a perfect family. Like a beautiful pretty cake with **** filling. My mum is a hysterical weirdo who'll insult everyone but herself and prides herself on being my dads perfect little lapdog. And my dad is a closet extremist homophobic racist. Inconvenience? Probably considering I have no intention on agreeing with them.

BQ: I have a brother who's 3 and a half years older than me.

BQ2: ^See Above^

BQ3: I couldn't care less. Probably some a classic black and white movie since they insist on living in the past.

Bye :)!

• Emma

Hey there

No i've never felt like i am an inconvenience but looking back there are times that if i was older i would have. For example when my dads mum died he went off the rails a bit and didn't see us much and my stepdad found it hard to live with children when we got a house together. I was under ten in both situations though. Oh and i'm ill at the moment and i sort of need my mum to go out with me most of the time, so yeah i've felt like an inconvenience there like not being able to work for a year or so and her having to pay for cigarettes, food etc..

BQ: I have a younger brother. Though i have an older stepbrother and sister and a younger stepbrother and sister too.

BQ2: Really good. I'm very close to both.

BQ3: Not sure..

No, my parent was an inconvenience to me though. Beat me until I was brave enough to speak up. Went to jail for only 3 days. Came back and ignored me completely. Didn't say a word. I confined myself to my room in my own misery until I was able to move out. Several suicide attempts along the way that failed but made me violently ill. Haven't spoken to him in years. Including the years I was still living with him.

I have many siblings with different mothers, I don't personally know my own mother or her name. But my dad was always kicked out because of his anger and drinking problem. And I was forced to go with him because they weren't my mothers.

My favorite movie is phantom of the opera

You are very lucky.

• Logan

I did and I was in fact a inconvenience to them

BQ I had one sister

BQ2 It was strained to say the least

BQ3 Hers was Love is a Many splendor Thing, his was The Birdcage

• Jim

Reading people like Emjobs answers makes me feel extremely immature for saying this since they have had a worse start than the majority who complain about their parents and have still turned out to be great human beings and don't blame them whatsoever.

Anyway.

I 'Know' i'm an inconvenience but don't really care, i'm living with my father at almost 21 years old for very cheap keep, £100 month for electric, internet, gas, water. But i do my share of the house choirs. However i don't feel obligated to make him happy so he can say to his friends the lame 'Oh my son got ambition' generally i consider him to intelligent to believe in such petty societal crap, but he chooses too.

I haven't seen my mother in 5 years because after my parents split up she was meeting lads not much older than myself. So she's not an issue.

A lot of people think they owe their parents something for feeding and sheltering them up until they were 18, i fail to understand that. After all, most parents only love their offspring out of own self interest so they can live a 'normal' middle class life of grandkids and someone to look after hem save them going in a home.

BQ: 0

BQ2: Ok but our only like interests are drinking, watching movies and playing pool.

BQ3: Nick Nolte and Jessica Lang in Cape fear come to mind as that was just fantastic acting.

Yes, I have felt like an inconvenience to my parents before. I have felt that way involving most people in my family. I try to not ask for much and I don't have much support from them. As I have gotten older, my family has become more cold and they have changed. I can't really rely on them these days.

How many siblings do you have?

-I have 2 older brothers. I am the youngest.

What's your relationship like with your parents?

-I get along with my mom but sometimes her and I have different views on the things I need in my life. My dad has always been distant and the rest of his side of the family has been indifferent toward me.

Favorite movie?

-The Avenger's.

Yes. I feel like I am everyday. My mother had to quit her full-time job because of me, I became very mentally ill when I was about 13 and I had to leave school because of it. I could no longer cope or function at that point, she had to take care of me. She still does, and she only works part time. She helps me with everything, and I just feel like I'm a burden to her. I've never gotten a job and I rarely do things like chores. I feel like her life would be much easier if I didn't exist.

BQ: I have two brothers. I'm the youngest.

BQ2: My mother is honestly my best friend. She does everything with me and we have a lot in common. I don't know how she puts up with me. I love my father too but I don't feel as though I'm close to him. He works long hours so I don't get to see him much.

BQ: Eva Khatchadourian (Tilda Swinton) in We Need to Talk About Kevin and Moses Pray (Ryan O'Neal) in Paper Moon.

• .

I'm living alone right now....i couldn't even stand living with my parents or my siblings....their problems and ignorance annoy the hell out of me

My mom is the doubt kind...every time i tell her something....i have to answer like 100 of her questions

All my siblings have their own stupid problems and my dad.....well, let's just say i don't like him

BQ:I have 3 siblings, 4 including me.....1 female and 2 males...and i'm the second to come to this life

BQ2:Right now it's far away, i don't have a good relationship with them because of many reasons

BQ3:My mom's favorite film is "40 Carats" and my dad's favorite movie is "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly)

• emjob

Hello Maddie :)

Yeah I kind of know I was really! My parents gave me up when I was just a baby. My mum just left one day and never came back. I didn't see her at all for a good ten years, I never knew her growing up. My dad was very young when it happened and couldn't cope, so there you go. I don't blame either of them really. I do always try to remember that 'parents' are just people like us, they have their own problems and worries. I guess it was only my mum that I was a REAL inconvenience to.

BQ: I have two half sisters and a half brother. I only say 'half' on here to clarify how they are related to me, but I never refer them to them as half siblings in real life, they're just my sisters and bro :) They're all younger than me.

BQ2: Yeah fine. Not orthadox I suppose but I have a good laugh with both of them. I don't believe in holding grudges and life's too short for me to be angry. I think being angry about things only serves to make yourself feel bitter. I'm lucky they're both around now. I'm closest with my grandad, he's the person I love the most and turn to when I'm in trouble.

BQ3: Ooh, movie question! Yay! You know what I'm going to say don't you? The Royal Tenenbaums :) :) :)

edit: Brilliant answers from people, so impressed. I can't believe some ugly old troll is going around giving everyone the thumbs down.