Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Since the Bible says the Earth is flat, do Christians want that taught in public schools too?

40 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Best answer

The bible refers to the earth as being a circle.

It's describes it as a "circle". Not a "sphere"...a circle. Meaning flat and round...like a pancake.

Theists like to point to Isaiah 40:22, which says: "It is he who sits above the circle of the earth".

In Job, the shape of the Earth is a little more specific, when it says that the "Earth takes shape like clay under a seal."

Have you seen what clay seals look like? Flat, and a circle, like a pancake.

That being said the moon to us looks exactly this way so it is not surprising the earth would be sdescribed like this

Source(s): Atheist who knows his bible.
  • 3 years ago

The exact text of Job reads: Job 26:7 He stretcheth out the north over the empty situation, and hangeth the earth upon nothing. Job 26:eight He bindeth up the waters in his thick clouds; and the cloud isn't rent underneath them. Job 26:9 He holdeth back the face of his throne, and spreadeth his cloud upon it. Job 26:10 He hath encompassed the waters with bounds, unless the day and night come to an end. Now do not forget verse 7. And hangeth the earth upon nothing. Last time I checked that's accurate and comprehensible at the stage of science the folks had at the time. But verse 10 you're proper it is speaking a couple of circle but not that the earth is a circle or even flat however alternatively how day and night time (gentle and darkness) are separated on the earth. In the event you take at a globe or even just a ball and shine a mild on to it how does the sunshine land on the globe? The line between the lighted field and the shaded discipline does form a flat circle. (cut a circle in a bit of paper matching the dimensions of the ball, or the globe, and see if it lines up.) And with a globe (or the earth) most of the line between day and night time is often over the oceans. As for the 4 corner thing. Sure i can see how people might consider that it method the earth is flat. However like others have mentioned that you may take it as compass points (north south east and west) or more apply put a long-established method of saying all features of the world. For it was mostly understood on the time that if a message was once to be despatched to the 4 corners of a kingdom it meant that the message used to be to be despatched to all regions of the kingdom. Now not that the kingdom was once square or that it even had corners. For this reason the four corners of the earth conveniently approach all parts of the earth stated in a method the people of the day would appreciate. And likewise fairly effortless for future generations when we appear at the textual content in suitable context taking the terms, phrases and phrases as they have been meant when the translations had been written as good as when the normal text used to be written. While some could say that is simply theist babble, I don’t feel whatever i've recounted is stretching or even pushing definitions, bodily tips or anything else to come up with these explanations. Simply some thing to feel about. Could Our Creator watch over you and your family.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Ok This is Me Pounding the words 'The Bible doesn't say the earth is Flat into your Skull.

Wham Wham Wham Wham

Get it yet ? No? Ok

Wham Wham Wham Wham

Ok, What Part do you not get into your head ?

the curvature of the earth is certainly a biblical concept, and there is little or no basis for the charge that the Bible teaches a flat earth. The Scriptures that seem to present a flat earth can all easily be explained when correctly interpreted and understood.

Why can't you get that into your head?

• Lou G
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

The Bible states the earth to be a circle. But, in the Bible you are in the teaching of Kabbalh and the 10 sephirot of the tree of life are circles. They are also rings, if you enter in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

The tree has the earth as the southern part, the crown as north in the center pillar and the east and west are the 2 pillars on the sides, Jachin,left, East, male, Boaz, West, right female.

In Islam the 3 pillars are AL-UZA right and West, Manlat in center, and AL-Lat left and East.

The 10 Sephirotoh are 10 Planets and Gods named to them, there is a hidden 11th that is Sirius, the star of knowledge. The Planets are Neptune the crown, Uranus is Chokmah left, Saturn is Binah, right, Jupiter, Chesed, left, Mars, Gevurah, right, Sol, Tipheret, center middle, Venus, Netzach left, Mercury Hod, Toth or Hermes, right, Luna, the moon, Center bottom, is Yesod or the foundation of humanity, the Uterus, and in bottom end Earth, Malkuth, it is your body and all the upper ones are parts of it, physical and intellectual ones, you can use for good and bad, positive or negative. You find them all in the bible, since also the Christian and Jewish Religion is polytheistic, and claims only one creator to exist, GOD.

The tree is made of 3 rings in the fire plain, your brains, the kingdom of elves, and 7 in the physical plain, the 7 for the dwarfs. The Moon is the sexual plain of the body, female Uterus and that is the ring of Mordor, the others are the rings of the Kings. The Moon is number 9, it is the one that joins them all and gathers them all. The Uterus, or Mount Sinai (SIN is the moon in Hebrew and Arabic and if you enter the moon sphere, have SEX, you become a sinner), Mount Zion, Galghata, St John Baptist, Goliath, Holly Land are all symbolic names used for female Uterus. The earth is our own body, it is a circle too since you can turn around in it and never reach any end. It is like a Planet in the starry sky, that is why the human is symbolized as a star, a Pentagram. You see the both in the symbol of Islam, the Moon and the Star, Human and Uterus, his origin.

Bible is anatomy of your body, how energy acts in it and how it multiplies, nothing more. All you see in Palestine is man made Bible Disney-Land and just money pumps. The Bible is written in allegories and trivial meanings and cycles. All in it has a positive, a negative and a neutral reason to be. Same symbol, 3 different things. All in there is trinities, same as god is. +, 0, - , or Nothingness, Resonance and Gravitation, we call that NRG, Energy. Ancients used the letters GDH for that symbol, GOD.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

you people that state that the Bible teaches us that the earth is flat misinterpret one verse. And don't fully understand the people of those times.

I think world religions should be an option in high school. So kids know about all the religions out there and will know how to talk to people of other faiths. I went to Catholic school and got an A in world religion and Fs in bible classes for refusing to read the Bible. I rebelled and my parents weren't too happy about it. Only because they had to pay tuition. Today, 22 yrs later, I study the Bible weekly. Love that book. Love God.

• 8 years ago

The Bible uses "figurative" language to describe the earth not scientific language. so the atheists that say the Hebrews believed in a disk shaped earth. nope. just not there.since Pythagoras in the 6 century B.C. until today it has been taught that the earth is a sphere. it is amazing how many people still believe in the columbus/flat earth myth that was invented in the nineteenth century to bash the catholic church.

• 8 years ago

Yeah... The Bible doesn't say the Earth is flat. However, other historical evidence leads us to indicate that the ancient Hebrews did believe in a flat Earth model of the cosmos, with the sky as a dome over the disk-shaped Earth, God sitting atop it, and the sun, moon and stars as small lights near the top. In that context, a lot of Bible verses that don't otherwise make sense suddenly seem perfectly logical.

• 8 years ago

Well Christians want schools to teach creationism, so it is very likely that they would want to teach students that the earth is flat and it is the center of our galaxy

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Do a phrase search "flat earth" in the Bible it would come with 0 results.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

All holy books assume that the earth is a flat square. They do mention the phrase "the four corners of earth". You might argue that it means "all over the world and that it is a figurative use", but I can argue that nowadays we say "all around the world" because we know the earth is round, but in the past people thought the earth was flat, so they used the phrase "four corners of earth" and if some people today still use this old-fashioned phrase, it is because the people in the past used it and no Holy Book seems to have corrected their mistake. One can only wonder why that is.

Source(s): Muslim
  • 8 years ago

This particular Christian would prefer there to be a minimum of state-funded schools and for them to be acknowledged as primarily a childcare service for parents who need to work with no formal educational function, so in fact i don't want anything taught in schools at all. That way, they are less likely to be accused of indoctrination.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.