Hey JEBUS, "Start Engine" button in your car instead of using the key?

This is not a question but an answer to Jebus's question regarding engine start buttons that I missed answering. The real reason that some manufacturers are going to a Button to start the engine is all to do with the new "key-less" technology that's being developed. In a button start vehicle... show more This is not a question but an answer to Jebus's question regarding engine start buttons that I missed answering.

The real reason that some manufacturers are going to a Button to start the engine is all to do with the new "key-less" technology that's being developed.

In a button start vehicle there is no key as we know it. There is just a small remote box similar to a normal remote locking box that most cars now have hanging off the cars key ring.

With this "key-less" system you simply carry the key-less remote in your pocket. As you approach the car it will unlock automatically and it will activate the ignition so that you simply get in and push the button to start the engine. When you park and leave the vehicle you simply walk away and once you are a certain distance from the car it deactivates the ignition and locks the car automatically.

So it's NOT about technology moving backwards as stated by Bob. It's a case of technology leaping forward.

I hope this helps.