Gimp Question - Installation?

The latest version of gimp (for windows) I found is version 2.8.

The latest version of gimp (for windows) help I found is version 2.6

As this did not work out - F1 is not functional in gimp - I looked for gimp 2.6 and could not find it.

Eventually I found gimp help version 2.8 as a tar and probably not for windows.

The person I want to give this program to - does not want internet access.

How can I provide a version of gimp (i.e. version 2.8) with working help system. Thank you for your help

• B K

GIMP 2.8 is just out (about a month ago). The help documentation is still being written I believe.

Most of the stuff in 2.6 is the same as 2.8, except for a couple of extras and differences.

The main differences are as follows:

1. the File > Save As function for exporting images has been changed to File > Export. File Save As is now used for saving XCF only.

2. an extra tool (Cage Transform) in the Tool Box.

3. The brush dynamics have also undergone a major redesign and improved functionality, although the instructions for 2.6 will give a working idea of what brush dynamics are for.

4. There is a new Single Window display mode under Windows > Single Window Mode.

5. There is a new text editor - works directly on the image now instead of a separate dialog.

In the meantime, if you are attempting to use the 2.6 user manual on a Windows PC, and you have installed the help files locally, you need to go to Edit > Preferences > Help system, choose the option "Help Browser to Use: Web Browser". Then F1 will work.

The tar file you found is for Linux - it won't work in Windows.You can rest assured the Windows help installer will be out soon if they have completed the Linux help files already.

The other option is to use an older version of GIMP. For Windows, GIMP 2.6.12 is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-win/files/GIM...

Gimp is made natively for use in Linux although someone has converted a version for Windows.