Why does Google Earth have areas covered by a chequerboard pattern?

I have OS-X version 10.5.8. In years gone by, GE worked fine. Now, large areas of the globe have a pattern of squares, with each square comprising a pattern of still smaller squares. The patterns are different shades of cerise. (Yes, I had to Google that. Any other bloke would call it pink.) Also, I've... show more I have OS-X version 10.5.8. In years gone by, GE worked fine. Now, large areas of the globe have a pattern of squares, with each square comprising a pattern of still smaller squares. The patterns are different shades of cerise. (Yes, I had to Google that. Any other bloke would call it pink.) Also, I've downloaded several times, but it always seems to finish up with version 5.2.1.1588, even though I checked the box for version 6.2. Anyone come across this?
Update: Thank you Keegan, very helpful. BTW, the government agency called. Your brain won't be ready for another week.

I mean, is there a technical issue with the program or the computer?