Do christians really "care"?

When ever I ask a question on here about why christians continue to harass someone when they have clearly said they aren't interested in becoming christian was that it is because christians "care" so much about other people going to their hell.

I have an atheist friend who did an experiment on this a few years ago to see if this is true. She living in an area that knew that she was not christian. She had lots of door to door evangelists coming to her apartment and driving her nuts so she tried something different. She went along with them the next time some of them showed up. She got "born again" right there at the front door, said all the words that they wanted her too and agreed with everything they said. She of course don't believe a word of it and had no intention of ever being christian. But she let they draw their own conclusions and they left happy that they "had saved" her. She never saw them again. The next group that showed up at her door from a different church she did the same thing. They haven't came by again either. So far she has become born again, Mormon and JW all in the same month.

But she hasn't had anyone back at her door checking up on her or talking to her again. So christians who claim there is so much "care" going on.... where are all those caring people now? Seems to me that they are just looking for a way to get into their heaven by showing that they converted souls..... I wonder what the price of entry is? Ten souls? 100 souls? Anyone ever find out? My friend is living a harassment free peaceful life now. She is a firm atheist and finds calm and peace in her life path. No one coming to her door and telling her she is going to hell or the devil's whore.

I can not do as she did ... it goes against my grain to give in to these religious bullies. But she is finding comfort now. What do you say?

There are those Christians who actually follow the teachings of Christ which doesn't mean forced conversion but caring about others. They tend not to advertise to everyone they care, they show it to those of their faith who usually put them down and say they are not Christians just because they show their love and compassion and their faith in their faith. It is called actually living their beliefs...

• Religious bullies?

I don't that you have been bullied, or harassed, or seriously offended by some religious people somewhere along the line - you are clearly angry at the religious. I hate to see a decent person become a bigot over something that happened in the past however.

Look, you aren't being bullied when you can tell hem to go away and close the freaking door.

Yeah - some Christians care - some probably don't. If they are knocking on your door because they care for your soul, and they are given the impression they have saved your soul, why would they come back? Then you'd be posting in here that they really just want you to be a member of their church to get your money, and they didn't care about your soul at all.

• brmxld

Hmm.... well I always personally felt that if someone wanted to be Christian that they would do it of their own accord. I'm not particularly fond of the door to door salesmen types and I don't go around demanding that every living person on earth be of the same faith I happen to be. I'm a Catholic lady and those sorts would tell me I was going to burn away because I wasn't a part of their brand of Christianity. My days are mostly spent caring for my two children. I don't have a lot of free time to waste on harassing people to death and I think it's really a shame to use people in a manner that is selfish at the heart. I don't have a million friends but the ones I have are cherished.

Just look around. Not only are most of the existing questions here blasphemous, disrespectful, even hateful -- I have barely ever seen an honest deep Christian question go more than two rounds before meddlers came in and filthified the whole thing. IT is a reilgion forum and most of it is just disgusting. Do you think in an atheism forum the majority would go the other way ? You know it wouldn't.

by the way, the supposedly honest questions ? I rarely go for them any more. I prepare a well-written reply after research and the poster has been deleted.

This may be true of Traditional Christianity, but as others have said, it is simply not the case with Mormons. They will certainly follow up, why? A Christian is sincere, and sincerity must be demonstrated by following Christ not simply by acknowledging His existence.

It is illogical to assume that Heaven will be populated with insincere people, thus join the affiliation which expects sincerity before membership... and after!

yes, Christians do care, thats why they spend time and effort and money to try to reach people they dont even know. they expect, though, that if you really became born again, you will go to a church and learn more. and i do know some evangelist who try and revisit after saving someone. i am sure that the evangelist would love to come and visit her again, but if they tried to revisit everyone they helped save, they wouldnt have time to keep on spreading the Word. i hope you consider changing your mind about God, He hasnt given up on you, and for your own sake it would be wise to at least look into the Bible. what have you got to lose?

Yeah you kind of lost credibility with the Mormon claim. You cant even BE baptized without completing several classes, a couple interviews and attending church 3 weeks.

Sooooo..... Yeah. Unlikely that that happened. Sounds like either you or her have a rich imagination.

• phrog

I have to doubt @least part of this (the mormon part) as one does not simply proclaim this religion and bam you're in it. you have to meet with missionaries, take lessons, meet with ward missionaries and be interviewed and baptized by the local leaders of the LDS...and quite frankly, IF she had shown any interest the missionaries would have followed up and followed up and would likely still be following up.

but...if you don't want the mormons to come by 1)be sure they are LDS mormons and 2) ask them NOT to call and 3) ask them to be sure you are on the mission area 'do not call list'...they can do that.

• Moi

of course, otherwise we would not bother

Jam 5:20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

Jhn 13:35 By this shall all [men] know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

• ?

That's sad. I'm sorry. People brains are not connected to their hearts at times. Some religions play at "collecting scalps". And to be honest, Christians are no exceptions.

You can tell her you love her--no matter what. I know you don't want to hear it, but that's what God said to me once, and I chose to believe HIM, not men. Just because you don't believe in God doesn't mean you don't still love your friend, right? And she loves you. Love is love. Love doesn't know about "religion".