How will I cope with the weather in Melbourne?

I really want to move to Melbourne (from Queensland) but everyone keeps telling me the weather is unbearable. Is it really that bad??? I'm pretty determined to move anyway but I'm sick of hearing all this negativity.

Geez, you know, it really is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. You always hear people saying stuff like "You get four seasons in one day" as though it was a daily occurrence, but it doesn't happen often at all. Or you hear people exaggerating it making it sound like it was really hot and sunny. then a huge thunderstorm appeared out of nowhere and it rained a lot, then it got frosty cold and windy, and then the sun came out 5 minutes later and got hot again, and then more rain came another 5 minutes later and it snowed after that, etc. But to be honest, the most extreme we ever really have it down here is that it may start off a sunny morning, then some cloud may gather into the afternoon, then a very brief shower will come through for a few minutes, then clear up again and return to normal. Temperatures don't vary that often. I hate hearing people talk about it like it's completely unlivable. If it was, then nobody would live here. This kind of weather can occur in every city, even up in QLD.

Melbourne's changeable weather is a bit like an urban legend; although it does change a few times a day on some days, it hardly ever happens. I guess it's part of Australian culture to bag Melbourne's weather but many people find it quite desirable. Summer is great (except if you're me who LOATHES hot weather). It is hot, sunny and dry nearly every day. Autumn ranges from hot to cool. The first half of autumn is generally warm-hot and sunny, and the second half is generally cloudier and mild-cool. Winter (my favourite!!!!!) is cool-cold and a little wet but it's generally just drizzle. But we also get quite a lot of beautiful crisp sunny days in winter. Spring ranges from cool-warm and is also a beautiful time of the year. The weather is more changeable in spring but it isn't that extreme, so you won't have to worry.

But seriously, the weather in Melbourne is perfectly fine. Don't let what you hear from other people turn you away.

Source(s): I live in Melbourne.
  • Janice

I am from Melbourne so I can tell you... It is not as bad as what people make it out to be. The whole "4 season in 1 day" thing... it's hardly ever like that. I mean, sometimes a day will start out sunny, then get cloudy and windy, then the sun comes back out again, and that's it. But the vast majority of days the weather will remain the same the whole day - it will be sunny from AM to PM, or it will stay cloudy and wet from AM to PM. It's really no different to any other city in Australia where it may be warm and sunny and the a cold front will pass and the temperatures drop and it may get some rain in the late afternoon/evening. Sydney gets pretty much double the rain we have, so I don't know why they bag Melbourne out for being a rainy city. We should be bagging them about it. Melbourne really isn't much of a wet city.. it is actually pretty dry. During summer, we have an average of two days above 40 degrees, but the average temperature is about 26-30 degrees. Although it usually remains above 30 for most of summer. It is pretty much dry and sunny blue skies every day throughout summer, with a few wet days here and there. So you can certainly go out and enjoy the great outdoors without much worry. Winter can be pretty cool/cold, but not near as cold as a British winter. Daytime temperatures usually vary between 13-15 degrees. It is not always wet here. We really don't actually receive a whole lot of rain, but it usually remains quite cloudy. I mean, winter is meant to be Sydney's dry season (I believe?) yet they have already received 3 times the amount of rain Melbourne has so far. This winter in Melb has been drier and warmer than average. Most days have been around 16-18 degrees and we have had quite a few sunny days. Spring is our wettest season, and is the transition from cool weather, to warm and sunny weather. And autumn is pretty much the reverse. Almost never rains at all during autumn, and it is quite warm becoming cooler. Hope that helps.

I am originally from Sydney and always preferred warm weather. Then somehow I ended up in Melbourne and have been here for 23 years. Melbourne's weather is much more extreme than further north in that we actually have the four seasons, not just wet and dry like much of northern Australia. Yes, I think it's bloody cold here in winter and dread its approach. But once you're living here and going about your daily life you just cope with it. Office workers are a bit short-changed in winter as they miss the sunny clear days that we often get. But we have an advantage in that it gets dark later than up north, so the afternoons don't start closing in until around 6pm in winter.

There are loads of Queenslanders who have successfully moved to Victoria (and Tasmania!). Give it a try. It's not like you can't move back if it's too unbearable for you.

Affectionately called "Marvellous Melbourne" during the gold dash of the 1850s, the name is still used nowadays for Australia's 2nd largest town Melbourne, a city as possible visited with hotelbye . On the banks of the Yarra River, nearby the entrance to Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne is a modern metropolis steeped in history. With huge wealth made from the nearby goldfields, majestic structures were built through the entire city. A number of these structures however stay today, and Melbourne is considered as having more samples of Victorian architecture than any city in Australia. One place you cannot skip in your stop by at Melbourne could be the Southbank and Arts Centre Melbourne. On the banks of the Yarra River that region is just a culturally wealthy attraction for visitors. Southbank promenade is filled with indoor/outdoor cafés, restaurants, and stay entertainment. Easily identifiable by its spire, the Arts Centre includes a variety of theaters and rooms including the State Theatre, Playhouse, Fairfax Theatre, and Hamer Hall, the premier efficiency space for the admired Melbourne Symphony Orchestra.

• sabraw

Four Seasons Melbourne

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): cope weather melbourne: https://shortly.im/3EyHE

I hate Melbourne weather. It is grey and cloudy a lot--almost every day. It dies t get sunny consistently until January and then in couple months or so you realise you have to wait until January again. If you come from place like Perth or Los Angeles, or other sunny places it is great to visit but unbearable to live here without an end date! That they vote this place 'most liveable City' is worst case of black humour. It is grey and wet with rude drivers, obnoxious cyclists, graffiti and wet mattresses everywhere. Housing is tremendously expensive and buying a house is unfriendly predator-like experience with young greedy or old and seedy agents who rip you off. Apartment dwellers have little or no storage or garage so their old mattresses just go on the street! Dreadful place.

Melbourne has frontal weather. Cold fronts move through so that hot northwesterlies in summer are replaced by cool southwesterlies very quickly. It is this passage of fronts that leads to the trite cliché "four seasons in one day" (which gets tiresome after you have heard it umpteen times). Melbourne generally has lovely summers but bleak winters. It has half the rainfall of Sydney but the same number of rain days and most of the rain falls in winter. The cold wet weather does, however, dump lots of snow on the Victorian Alps and day trips to Mt Buller to go skiing are easy to do from Melbourne. (In Sydney, the snow is five hours or more away so day trips are out).

The full climatic averages for Melbourne are here. To get the best idea of expected temperatures, 80% of maximum and minimum temperatures fall between Deciles 1 and 9. Look at the table and you will see what I mean. http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_0...

Its not as terrible as everyone makes it out to be. Like everywhere we have winters but not every day is freezing. We do have rain and are grateful for it because we have had droughts here like many other states. It warms up in summer and we have very warm days the same as everywhere else in the country. Im in my fifties, born here and lived here most of my life. If you have a good coat you will survive and Melbourne is such an interesting city you will be out seeing it you wont have time to feel the cold.

4 Seasons In One Day