Why did my 5 month old puppy start shivering when it wasnt cold?

I have a 5 month old toy pom. last night I put him on the floor to go potty. When he came back he was crying to get on the bed. So i picked him up and he was shivering like he was freezing. I tried to warm him but he was still shivering. So I brought him downstairs and gave him something to eat, he ate half and... show more I have a 5 month old toy pom. last night I put him on the floor to go potty. When he came back he was crying to get on the bed. So i picked him up and he was shivering like he was freezing. I tried to warm him but he was still shivering. So I brought him downstairs and gave him something to eat, he ate half and wouldnt drink water. So I got worried and drove him to the emergency vet. Maybe 20 minutes after he ate we were in the car and he was sleeping like a little angel not shivering any longer. My room in pretty cold I dont know if that was the cause or not, he is long haired. He also has been eating these dried cherries that are falling off the tree in the backyard along w some other foilage. He is a puppy so he likes to eat anything. Also he plays rough with my adult pom and bumbs his little head around on tables. He's fine now no more shaking but I am worried about what that scene was about last night. Any one have any ideas on why he was shivering when it really wasnt to cold? Do you think he will be fine now?
Update: Mind you we also live in vegas wher it is HOT.