Jacqieeeee asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

Why would a passive dog suddenly become aggressive?

My dog is a 5 yr old spayed female yellow lab and is extremely friendly. She is never aggressive or protective to anything. She is a Pet Assisted Therapy Dog and has never barked or growled. She recently has become protective against bones and sticks to other dogs. She just started growling at other dogs, this is my second time hearing it. Why the sudden change? Also how can I get her back into her passive zone?

Favorite Answer

Usually if there's any change in an adult dog, it's best to get them checked. There could be something going on with her, such as arthritis setting in which is making her grumpy. You don't want to risk a PAT dog starting to do this with humans. And Labs can suffer with hip problems which may well develop into an arthritic condition as they age. Obviously arthritis can't be cured, but there is medication to help her feel more comfortable again.

She is trying to keep the other dogs from going near 'her' things. You need to teach the dog that everything is YOURS. I would start by taking ALL her bones, sticks, and whatever else she is possessive over, away.

NILIF might be helpful (Nothing in life is free)

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

Dogs are all aggresive to bones. Take the bones or toys away from this dog and she will be fine and back to her regular attitude.

Source(s): Volinteer at a rescue.

Mabe something is bothering your dog? Your dog could be hurt?