Huckabee's Chick-Fil-A support - was that showing how much the religious right hate gays?

They always say "we hate the sin, not the sinner" or something like that... but is that what they were showing? When was the last time a christian showed love to someone who has been attracted to the same gender all of their life?

Read this article!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Best answer

Yes. Free speech is about Chik-Fil-A being able to say what they want AND about those who disagree being able to say what they want as well. Choosing not to spend your money at Chik-Fil-A is about not wanting your money to support this, and I figure more will stop going when they learn this:

1) Chick-fil-A has donated at least $5 million to organizations (including a certified hate group) that, among other things, depict gay people as pedophiles, want to make "gay behavior" illegal, and even say gay people should be "exported" out of America.

Even if you oppose same-sex marriage, do you really want to support a company that advocates putting gay people in jail, or "exporting" them, just because they're gay?

2) Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy didn't merely say he supports traditional marriage. Dan Cathy said if you support gay marriage, you "are inviting God's judgment on our nation," and that we "shake our fist at Him" when we do. Dan Cathy also said same-sex marriage is the result of a "deprived" mind and called it "twisted up kind of stuff."

Even if you don't support same-sex marriage, do you really think gay marriage is "inviting God's judgment on our nation"? Haven't we all heard enough blame from those who claim to speak for the Lord, like after Katrina or, more recently, after the shooting in Aurora, Colo.?

3) Chick-fil-A supports organizations that have claimed they can change gay people into straight people -- "pray away the gay" -- despite the fact that practically every major medical organization has stated that this is not only impossible but dangerous and harmful.

Even if you don't support same-sex marriage, do you support fake "science" that is known to harm the very people it claims to help?

4) The media keep saying Chick-fil-A has never discriminated, but the truth is that Chick-fil-A has been sued over a dozen times for employment discrimination. That's what a leading business publication, Forbes, stated in 2007, when they also called Chick-fil-A a "cult" and reported that Chick-fil-A's founder and CEO Truett Cathy said he wanted to hire married people because they are more industrious and productive. Truett Cathy has also said he would probably fire someone who "has been sinful or done something harmful to their family members."

Even if you don't support same-sex marriage, do you want to support what some call a "cult" whose CEO says he would fire employees for "being sinful"?

5) Chick-fil-A is just exercising their First Amendment rights by running a business based on the Bible, right? Wrong. There's a line between the "free exercise of religion" and violating the law. If Chick-fil-A is violating the law by discriminating against gay people, or by firing women so that they can be "stay home" moms, as one woman who is suing Chick-fil-A says in court documents, that's not exercising religious expression or free speech, and that's not a First Amendment issue. It may be, if the court decides, a violation of the law.

Even if you don't support same-sex marriage, do you want to support a company that might fire women to force them to be "stay home" moms against their will?

There are plenty of good restaurants that are happy to work hard for your hard-earned dollar. Why support a company that is working so hard to deny people their rights?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-badash/chick-f...

##

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

*sighs* you're wasting your time. We've known for quite a while that conservatives don't know the first thing about what free speech is. We've explained it again and again. They don't want to know, or they don't care. Heres what Ive found about their version so far:

1) A person can say something bad about a group. This is free speech

2) A wronged group that is stating their displeasure is not free speech, and infringes on the free speech of the attacker.

3) All republicans are to be given deference in situations where who has the right to the right of free speech at that moment comes into conflict.

4) Nothing a rightwinger says is a violation of free speech.

5) Words that conservatives put into the mouths of democrats are free speech, but its a violation of free speech to point out that you didnt say those things.

• Curt
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

NO....It shows that in this country you can and should be able to have an opposing or dissenting opinion without fear of reprisal.

If you don't agree with the views of Chick-fil-a then don't eat there, it's that simple.

It doesn't require a boycott or fear mongering or race-baiting or homophobia that your inclined to propose.

Mayor Rahm Emmanual has instituted a boycott of Chick-fil-a in Chicago, Where was he when President Obama was in favor of the defense of marriage act a year or two ago?

Why aren't you bashing black churches for not supporting gay marriage?

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-09-26/opinion/inam.le...

• gatita
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

I am a Christian who has had gay acquaintances and at no point did I criticize them or their choice of lifestyle. I have NEVER carried a sign declaring they are going to hell as the infamous Westboro Baptist church, and I use the word church loosely, consistently does. I have too much respect for the military to claim they are going to hell because some choose the gay lifestyle. My husband served in Vietnam nd came home guiltridden over the the death and destruction he witnessed.

My God does NOT kill soldiers for the actions of homosexuals. In fact few of my Christian friends would say anything hateful to or about gays. I find more "hate" aimed at Christians by gays on YA which is unjustified. Just because we believe it is sinful we also remember that we will be judged by God for everything we have said or done during our lifetime.

Matt. 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

In the media world, saying you believe in something is tantamount to stating unequivocally that you despise anything and anyone that disagrees with you. If you’re pro-life, then you must hate women. If you’re a fiscal conservative, then you must hate seniors because you want to get rid of their social security. If you believe in traditional marriage, then you’re a homophobe. Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy has been taking heat from the left for some comments he made presumably about homosexual marriage. The thing is, he didn’t actually say anything about homosexual marriage. Cathy only stated his beliefs about traditional family and marriage. Leave it to the media to try to make a story out of nothing.

The original interview that the media quote as being responsible for all these attacks and boycotts by the left was given by Ken Coleman on Ken’s radio show that aired on Father’s Day. The context of the infamous quote by Mr. Cathy in which he states that our culture is “inviting God’s judgment” wasn’t even about homosexual marriage. In fact, the subject of homosexual marriage never even came up during the entire interview. Ken’s question to Dan was regarding the growing problem of “fatherlessness” in our society today.

Since the interview was given on Father’s Day, the emphasis was on fathers. The radio host chose to feature Dan Cathy, a father of two and prominent Christian businessman who has honored his own father and has followed in his footsteps. Mr. Coleman simply asked Dan to comment on our “fatherless” society and what could be done to solve the problem. Dan elaborated on how emotionally detrimental it can be when the father or mother is absent from the family and how fatherless children do not get the benefit of the balance between both parents. He mentioned an “essential, emotional DNA” that we get as a result of having a balanced family.

gatita

Apostolic Believer in One God, Jesus

My faith in the One who died for me

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 years ago

Sure it has nice food and service i dont realize why humans are having complexes over someones individual beliefs in the event that they desired to protest so much they waited too rattling long the companys owner believed that all his possession of the restaurant so the boycotters are too rattling late to hop on the bandwagon of hate, hate me all you wish to have in poor health devour where ever i damn good please

• 7 years ago

So we have the Freedom of Speech ... as long as you agree with it? You want tolorance? Here you go, be tolorant that not everybody has the same ideas you have.

• saq428
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

When a man states his oppinion, and then he and his business are condemned by the supposedly 'tolerant preaching' groups, the evidence is made manifest for all to clearly see. The leftists are the ones who are bigoted, as confirmed by each deed and word they speak. When a tree bears bad fruits, season after season, its a clear indication the tree is bad - thus it is with them...bigots who preach others as bigots.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

How do you get "hate" from a comment along the lines of "we support traditional marriage"?

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

so then you hate free speech?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.