?
Lv 6
? asked in News & EventsMedia & Journalism · 8 years ago

i want to ask why the media has coined the statement 200%?

per is from and cent is one hundred ,so they state non figures like 200% and 2,000%?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favourite answer

It's a play on words

• 8 years ago

Its just a 'play' on words - thats all. Increasing the % makes it sound more dramatic (as has already been said).!!

Another example of media misleading - is when the media says....'the whole country' is involved with whatever subject is being discussed....when most of the countries people couldn't careless.

The media never lets a 'boring news story' get in the way of a dramatic presentation on any subject matter - jazz it up - and the public will pay attention....as 'they' see it.

The media has been regularly 'pulled up' for giving misleading statements etc on almost 'any subject matter' - and any sane person sees beyond the continual drivel thats offered up by the media as (supposedly) news worthy and truthful.....on anything the media broadcasts.

The days of media integrity/conformation before reporting etc are long gone - now its just 'show biz' all the time....and those 'must have media ratings' we all hear so much about.

• ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

That depends on context.

A person can only give 100% effort, because that is all the effort anyone can give.

But someone can improve their performance more than 100%.

And things can be greater by as many % as is the case, the Sun being over 100,000,000% the size of the Earth.

And I get 3,500% return on my investment when I win on a single number on a roulette table (I also lose 36 times to get there LOL) so although 100% is the whole of something, you can increase or decrease things by more than 100%.

• mac
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

It's a twist to spice up the language.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • guiri
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

So as to make things seem twice as bad.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.