Anyone else have GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)?

I am a recent sufferer of GERD (gastroesophageal reflux diseasse) and it feels like the worst pain when it comes on. It mimics a heart attach, and often times, I second guess myself and actually wonder if I am having a heart attack, but I am only 26 and am relatively healthy and also I recently went to the ER a few weeks back and had an EKG done and a chest X-Ray done and it wasn't. Then about a week and a half ago after seeing multiple Doctors I had one that diagnosed me with GERD. So, I would like to know everyone's signs and symptoms? When mine occurs, I feels constant stomach pain right where where my left rib is and it travels all the way up my chest, into my back and shoulder, then it slowly starts going away in my shoulder and back and remains in my esophagus for like an hour or longer. Gross, but I sometimes will burp up acid. Does anyone else have as bad as symptoms as I do?

I am 26 like I said, 5'5 130 pounds, and don't really eat unhealthy.

Doctor prescribed me Aciphex. I took it two days and then I had to start taking pain meds for tooth pain and didn't want to mix any meds with that pain medicine so I stopped taking it.

I did once but now I take Nexium, and follow the preventative measure for GERD.

If you are overweight, lose weight, avoid spicy and fatty foods (pizza, sausage,spiced meats), avoid soda (pepsi, coke, etc), avoid chocolate and coffee or other caffeinated drinks and avoid your trigger foods. If you don't know what your trigger foods are keep a food diary so you can pin point them.

When heartburn starts, immediately drink some cool water to wash the acid out of your esophagus. You may have to do this several times until the acid has been digested.

Don't lie down after meals as the acid will flow upwards. Take some Gaviscon or another antacid to neutralize the acid. Did the doctor prescribe something like Nexium or Priloec? These meds are best taken an hour before your largest meal. There are OTC medication like:

Try to eat a bland diet for a few weeks. Oatmeal or Cheerios, banana, apples, applesauce, rice, white bread, jellies and Jams, chicken (boiled, or broiled), white fish, potato, sweet potato, carrots, green beans.

Don't wear tight clothes as they can push the acid up. Don't eat large meals. Don't chew gum or smoke. Chew your food well. Don't eat very cold or very hot foods. In other words be kind to your stomach. You are only 26 and will need to use your stomach for years to come and you don't want to have perpetual heartburn. Chronic heartburn can cause cancer of the esophagus.

Read the info at the sites below. And don't despair, if you follow these tips and diet things will get better and you can eat some of your favorite foods again but may have to eat less of them.

1

Source(s): Top Ranked Heartburn Plan : http://HeartburnNoMore.duebq.com/?Rlp
  • Paula

When I was an infant I was diagnosed with GERD as well. My younger cousin who is 5 now also was diagnosed with GERD as an infant. She was on AXID and it took a few days. It does with all GI medications - the drugs have to settle into your stomach enzymes, etc, to cause them to produce less acid. I'm almost 21 now and I have been on lots of upper GI drugs, usually within a week everything starts working and you'll experience significant relief. My cousin who is now 5 and was diagnosed at infancy currently doesn't complain or show any GERD symptoms, so AXID does work from what I have witnessed. Good luck. I'm not a mother yet, but I know how stressful it was to watch my baby cousin go through it & know that there wasn't much I could do. My mom used to rub me down with baby oil when I would get into crying fits because of it, or she'd give me a warm bath to try and soothe me. Usually it helped relax me at least a little.

I have been diagnosed with GERD and LPR. Your symptoms are those associated with heartburn and reflux. Also avoid alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee and tea. I am on Nexium as well, but it is very expensive. Try Prilosec and see how that helps. Don't let it go untreated. It can over time lead to esophageal cancer. If you are hoarse as well, that means it is making its way up to your vocal cords and may even make it as far as your sinuses. Wicked disease, but a common one. Get it under control.

Hey there,

I was a acid reflux sufferer. I followed this natural program http://www.goobypls.com/r/rd.asp?gid=568

I feel much better now. Now more hearthburns!

Cheers.

HA! sucks to be you