Cooling pad or cooling fan for Laptop.?

I play The Sims 3 games on my laptop & after about 5 minutes of game play my screen just goes black no audio or anything so I have to force a shut down. So I asked for a solution EA told me that since my laptop gets too hot that's why my game shuts down. They also me told I should get a cooling pad, but every... show more I play The Sims 3 games on my laptop & after about 5 minutes of game play my screen just goes black no audio or anything so I have to force a shut down. So I asked for a solution EA told me that since my laptop gets too hot that's why my game shuts down. They also me told I should get a cooling pad, but every cooling pad I see has fans. So what's the difference? I bought a cooling fan & it does keep my computer cool when I'm not playing but when I do play I get the black screen. So I need something effective. And another thing only one side of my laptop really gets hot but it doesn't have any vents underneath the hot area the vents are only on the side. And this didn't happen until after I installed Showtime & I was playing for a while before this happened.

I have every EP & SP installed except for Diesel SP, Sweet Treats SP & Supernatural EP. I have no installed custom content or mods. I used to have CC but I removed it all thinking that was the problem.

If there could be another issue instead if overheating what could it be?
And if you have any really good cooling pad/fan recommendations please leave a link if you can.
Update: I have a Sony VAIO E Series Laptop.
Update 2: Its over 2 years old.
3 answers 3