Which should I get? Gerbil, mouse, hamster?

So I have the option of getting one of those three. Well, maybe not the mouse but I'm hoping that it'll be an option. (Whichever I choose I'll do lots of research on before I get it so I know how to fully care for it) Which do you think makes the best pet? I can get a hamster from one of my sisters... show more So I have the option of getting one of those three. Well, maybe not the mouse but I'm hoping that it'll be an option. (Whichever I choose I'll do lots of research on before I get it so I know how to fully care for it)
Which do you think makes the best pet? I can get a hamster from one of my sisters friends who is giving hers away for free with the cage and everything, but I know hamsters are nocturnal and I'd prefer to have a pet that's not noctural. The only upside I see with the hamster is that they don't need cage mates. (I don't know which type of hamster it is. I hope its a syrian, because I like the bigger hamsters better, but if it's not I wont complain haha)

I think a gerbil would be a good option too because since they are desert animals originally, I heard they don't poo as much so they don't smell as much (not that the other choices stink either, but i just read that somewhere) Plus gerbils are just so cute(: I love their little furry tails haha

and a mouse, which is the best to get? Females or males? I read that if i get females to get a couple but if i get males, to only get one. Is this true? (I still need to do some more research.)

Anyways, which do you think makes the best pet and why?