Why are straight men in UK homophobic?

Ok so I'm a gay male and I was out to my classmates (which happened to be all girls) and i never had any problems with it, everyone was nice and accepting. but yesterday I was reading some comments about gay x factor contestant and i've noticed that a lot of men put very rude and homophobic comments like ; dirty, sick disgusting gays etc... I was shocked that this is still happening in this country in 2012... Women tend to be much more tolerant and nice, is it lack of education, ignorance?

i think most men in the world are homophobic. and also that women are more accepting to gay men for they love the same gender.

You say you are out as being gay to your classmates (who happen to be girls) and you "never had any problems with it, everyone was nice and accepting" - does that mean the boys at the school didn't give you any grief because of it either?

If so, it could mean that the younger generation of straight guys in the UK are less fussed about your sexuality than the generation above that contributed the homophobic comments to that website.

• Jamie

Just because some people say something about one person does not reflect on the full straight male society; people like you are so ignorant; obviously there will be some homophobic straight guys; but the UK in comparison to most of the world is one of the most open places to be gay. I live in Scotland and I can definitely confirm that it is not a homophobic place at all, the majority of Scotland are in favor of same sex people and their rights. Being on a reality show you will always get criticism no matter if you are gay or straight, I'm sure if you look at things people say about the other contestants you will see that it is not only the gay person being targeted; basically no matter where you go there will always be homophobia; just do not accuse the UK society of being undereducated or ignorant due to the things a few people say. If the UK were ignorant the majority would not be in favor of same sex rights. Ever thought so many straight guys are homophobic because people like you label them all as ignorant?.

You have to remember that the internet is international, not just the Uk. Living as a 15 year old male in the UK who's gay, I've ran into the odd few who are homophobic, but the majority of people are coming round to the idea. Soon, hopefully it will be as eradicated as it can be, homophobia will be frowned upon like racism eventually.

I have to agree with Bow before the Rainbow too, most people in the UK are accepting of it now. Older, more religiously affected people may still be opposed but my grandparents are fine with it.

• rayos

I've a an identical expertise. I am woman and i am Married. My husband has a gay buddy that reside in a large property. We normally discuss with him and "being" buddies. I tolerate gay people due to the fact that I met him because he's pleasant as a individual. However getting nearer as we get more he show the affection to my husband. He's around 50's. And me and my husband dealt with him like a loved ones pal. However I can not tolerate he's being touchy to my husband. Mainly when he grabbed my husband's penis and stuff!! I advised him that do not like him doing that. Individually, every time he did that he stated "Oops sorry can not help it in view that i'm homosexual". Me and my husband already instructed him that we do not like that however he appears doesn't care what I believe by means of doing such matters. Now my nerves already up to my head and i could not stand it anymore to tolerate it. Am I being too sensitive or is this a sort of harrasment covered via friendship?

Meh, I haven't had much of a problem with it to be honest. Since i started uni i decided to be completely out and not hide it. I was expecting a sh*t storm of abuse to come at me from the guys I shared my flat with but they just looked at me and said "Ah cool", and that was that. You're always gonna get A*seholes no matter where you go. And if you read those comments online, then really you shouldn't be surprised. Half the time people post the most controversial stuff they can just to get a reaction out of people. I honestly and truly believe that today, the majority of people in this country, male or female, don't really care all that much... unless they're old of course.

Source(s): Nyan Cat Awayyy!!

No, not ignorance; it's sheer fright. They are terrified someone might espy the broad gay streak in each of them.

Research by U.S. psychologists suggests that 80 percent of men who are homophobic have secret homosexual feelings.

In tests by Prof. Henry E. Adams of the University of Georgia, homophobic men who said they were exclusively heterosexual were shown gay videos. Four out of five became sexually aroused by the homoerotic imagery, as recorded by a penile circumference measuring device, (a plethysmograph).

Prof. Adams's research was published as Is Homophobia associated with Homosexual Arousal? in the prestigious U.S. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, (1996, Vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 440-445).

Prof. Adams says his research shows that most homophobes "demonstrate significant sexual arousal to homosexual erotic stimuli", suggesting that homophobia is a form of "latent sexuality where persons are either unaware of or deny their homosexual urges".

These findings support the theories that homophobia (fear of gayness or support for antigay discrimination) is often indicative of repressed, self-loathing, homosexual feelings; and that many homophobes subconsciously use antigay attitudes as a smoke-screen to disguise their own homosexuality.

As for poor old @cedorsmulas: anal sex is the most common form of heterosexual activity worldwide, as the cheapest and most convenient form of birth control.

it's just the fact that he was acting really anoying, sometimes people call people by their looks of sexuality whatever! like if i girl who happens to have giner hair is being really annoying, somebody might say oh that f**king ginger. People who are talking about x factor aren't homophobic they are just using something about the person to describe them

I think you are just meeting the wrong people , all my friends are accepting of me both boys and girls. I have experienced some homophobia but I don't count those people as friends. True friends will be there regardless of their orientation

most men in the UK do not care, as long as you keep yourself to yourself, else you will get a kicked up and down the street.