Isn't there such a thing as subconscious racism and discrimination in politics?

There were many people in Congress who would not vote or compromise on important political laws and agenda simply because Obama is President, and they said so. Please note that Congress would not pass former President Bill Clinton's healthcare reform bill during his term in office but no one named it Clintoncare. The Affordable Healthcare Act aka Obamacare is for everyone. Does Romney think that the Affordable Healthcare Act is for the 47% of Americans who do not take responsibility for themselves and who, according to Romney, are low lifes because they are sick, poor, soldiers, and/or the elderly? In this 47% of Americans, are there more blacks, whites, Asians, or Hispanics? Or only the have and have nots. Romney cannot take back what he said about 47% of Americans and say it was just a simple mistake. Romney meant what he said in his "top secret" meeting/fundraiser.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 5
    7 years ago
    Best answer

Yes, most definitely. It is rampant, both subconscious and VERY conscious racism/discrimination, in the attitudes towards President Obama and his policies and there was also an example of prejudice towards women, when Hilary Clinton ran for the Presidency.

It was shocking to see both conservatives and some of the supposedly "educated, enlightened" liberals launching brutal, degrading attacks on her, many of which centered around her appearance. This was a powerful, intelligent, and ridiculously sharp woman being pulled down by the right and elements of her own party. It was disgusting.

This racism/sexism within U.S. politics has a long and ugly history. Why do you think women and African-Americans actually had to FIGHT to obtain something as basic as the vote? Ethnocentrism and bigotry within the political system has been used as a weapon of suppression against some and a tool of privilege and opportunity for others.

• It is inescapable that every person will be aware of such obvious differences in people as - say - skin colour - whether they be black, white yellow or whatever. It is simply not possible to sit down in a room with a person of another race and not be conscious of the fact that they are of a different race. What can happen is that this CAN become an unconscious reason for taking a decision or a course of action - as you say.

The question then becomes :-

a) How do you prove it?

b) What do you do about it?

C) How do YOU not do it yourself?

All anyone can do is watch carefully and do their best to ensure that they do NOT do this.

A perfect example is the way in which people will give someone with an obvious disability a lot more leeway than they will someone without such a disability. This has the added problem of engendering in the disabled one a feeling that they are somehow 'superior' in their argument and so forth - when the truth is that nobody wants to be the person who 'hits' them.

That ring any bells?

• 7 years ago

How is providing 8 health care services specifically for women, but denying them or equivalent services to men for everyone? Isn't providing services based on gender, the opposite of providing them to everyone?

Is it really affordable? By some estimates it will cost us billions more than we are spending now. Others say it won't cost more. I guess time will tell, but just because it says it's affordable, does not mean that it is. Legally forcing private industries to provide free services is also a very dangerous road to walk down.

Obama care provides me with nothing I do not already have, but I'll have to help pay for it via increased premiums and/or taxes, so it's clearly not for everyone. It's a resource re-distribution program that will help some at the expense of others.

I'm not claiming, it's all bad, but if there is subconscious discrimination, I think it's you assuming some policy will somehow magically benefit everyone without costing some people more.

~

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.