Why do Mormon's abstain from alcohol, considering that Jesus' turned water into wine?

I understand that Mormon's believe that they are commanded to abstain from alcohol. What is the Mormon view on Jesus' first miracle of turning water into wine?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Best answer

Mormons abstain from alcohol. They also believe wine in the old days meant grape juice. Water is cheap and readily available. Besides if you bless it its all the same in the end.

It commonly follows the strange idea that Joe Smith was told by god that many things were bad for human use. It is framed by Mormons as the Word of Wisdom and is not a sin or commandment. It is considered friendly advice from god and church leaders for a happy life. Most Mormons obey the Words of Wisdom and consider it devinely inspired.

Here is a few points that sheds light on the nonsense that is the LDS faith. The origin of the Word of Wisdom begins with Joe's wife complaining about cleaning up the smoke filled rooms and missed spittoons. She asks Joe to pray for a solution? Any husband worth a crap will realize its time to banish the filthy habits from within his church. As we have seen in modern America trying to force people to quit a habit like smoking is not met with blissful acceptance by the smoking public. How can Joe take the heat off of himself , well that is easy ...just say, God has said, "...."

When he begins to spout his nonsense we need to place it into the frame and context that our bodies are temples. This in many ways may sound fine and good; however, his statement is framed as divine guidance despite mostly stating the obvious. Ask any smoker who has smoked for any considerable period if it is harmful and they will tell you, yes! Ask any addict if abstinence from their drug of choice effects their mood ....um...Duh! YES!. So in addition to smoking and chewing tobacco, alcohol is a simple addition to the list of abstinence. It shouldn't need to be pointed out that the effects alcohol has on alcoholics health as obvious. Many reasons associated with alcohol abuse place it on the list for abstinence but also prevent it from becoming a sin. Many early church members had problems with alcohol this made it hard to condemn and banish. It should also be remembered during this era, Alcohol was used as a medicine and anesthesia.

Hot beverages are on the abstinence list and commonly accepted to mean coffee because caffeine is addictive. Hot Chocolate and some teas don't count for some odd reason. In an interesting side not or advice... never stand in the way of a Mormon trying to get to their first fix of Diet Coke in the morning.

For any of this nonsense to be reveled by god, one would need to believe god would make a comment regarding the common use of drugs today. Granted current church leaders often do. (by stating the obvious just as Joe did) But it is obvious Joe never saw Chrystal Meth as much of a threat and neither did his god.

• 7 years ago

Maybe because back then wine was more healthy than water and now days we have a multitude of healthy options for keeping our bodies hydrated. You do know that the Bible also preaches much about the dangers of drunkenness and the need to use moderation, don't you? Apparently alcoholism was a big problem anciently. Wouldn't it make sense for God to now tell us to abstain from something this is potentially so habit forming?

Jesus could just as easily have purified some water instead of turning it into wine, but back in that day and age, I doubt anyone would have recognized that the water had been purified seeing as contaminated water and clean water often look the same and back then they didn't have the scientific knowledge to determine whether or not Jesus had indeed purified the water.

• Tami
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

in those days, when there was a wedding. it would be days long. wouldn't be unusual for a wedding to last over a week. the grooms family paid for wedding then. and if the wine ran out they could actually be sued over it. that also wasn't uncommon when the wine ran out. If you where invited to a wedding you took with you all the people in your family as well. not the weddings we know now n days. chances are people were already drunk. Jesus made water into wine to keep the party from being spoiled basically.

• 7 years ago

New wine, or what we would call grape juice, had some small percentage of alcohol, but it was healthier than most of the water sources. Old wine had much more alcohol, and caused drunkenness, which is decried all through the Bible. The Word of Wisdom initially allowed weak drinks like beer, while warning against stronger liquor. With our modern methods of providing clean water, alcohol in any form is no longer necessary. It is easier to abstain from alcohol, than it is to abstain from "strong drink", while drinking alcohol. I support the Lord's decision.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Wine in Jesus' day was not the same as wine made today. We also believe that God speaks to us today, that he hasn't turned his back on us, but that he is alive and well. God revealed to the modern church that water should be used, and bread.

Bread today is also different from bread of Jesus' time, so I guess we could ask the same question. Why do most Christians today use a different type of bread than the type Jesus used? Especially when they don't believe in 'change' through modern revelation.

• Ammon
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Because Jesus Christ said to, and explained this to a Prophet Of God (in the Doctrine And Covenants).

Once upon a time animal sacrifice was part of the gospel, then Jesus Christ said that the policy was changing. Same thing for circumcision. New policy. Because through revelation Jesus Christ says so.

http://Mormon.org Chat.

God bless.

• 7 years ago

The Word of Wisdom is a law of health revealed by the Lord for the physical and spiritual benefit of His children. On February 27, 1833, as recorded in section 89 of the Doctrine and Covenants, the Lord revealed which foods are good for us to eat and which substances are not good for the human body. He also promised health, protection, knowledge, and wisdom to those who obey the Word of Wisdom.

D&C 89:5-7

5 That inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him.

6 And, behold, this should be wine, yea, pure wine of the grape of the vine, of your own make.

7 And, again, strong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies.

To me, "pure wine of the grape of the vine" means grape juice. Not fermented grape juice which has turned into wine...

Our prophets have said that we are not to drink any drink containing alcohol. And when the prophet speaks, it comes from the Savior, so... I follow it.

My view of Christ turning the water to wine - was it alcoholic? Was it "bad"? I don't know. I believe He did it. But I also believe then was a different time. Maybe it was not the same as "today's" alcohol. I don't know. All I know is that I trust my Savior to know what is best for me and if He tells the prophet alcohol is bad NOW, then it is.

Source(s): LDS
  • rac
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Have you read about new wine versus old wine? New wine is grape juice and old wine is fermented. The governor of the wedding complimented Mary for saving the good wine for last when most people serve the good wine first. The wine that Jesus prepared for his mother was new wine, grape juice.

In the Doctrine and Covenants the church is told to use grape juice or wine, of their own making, fresh from the vine. They were told not to buy wine from their enemies and then they were told that it did not matter what they used so for their sacraments, we were allowed to use water instead of wine, thus eliminating the problem of using new or old wine of our own making.

Source(s): my LDS opinion
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Not to defend Mormons...but...Yes, according to the Bible, Jesus did turn water into wine...but did he drink any of it?

Edit: No Chance...What? I never said that Jesus didn't approve of it. And the wedding where Jesus turned water into wine has nothing to do with the Last Supper. Besides, the Bible doesn't say that he drank the wine at the Last Supper either. Just that he gave it (and the bread) to his Apostles to drink (and eat).

Actually, nowhere in the Bible does it specifically say that Jesus drank any wine, even though he most likely did.

• 7 years ago

As a Mormon, if you drink any alcohol, you can't get into their temples, be married for eternity, or reach the highest levels of their heaven to become a god. That's the whole point of Mormonism.

Drinking may not be technically a 'sin', but it ruins your chances of exaltation and progression as a Mormon.

It is SO ironic. Both Joseph Smith and Brigham Young were big drinkers. Young built breweries in Utah and sold his product for a profit. Wine was used in early LDS church and temple ceremonies. The Word of Wisdom was ignored for almost 100 years. If you read it in detail, you find most of it is still ignored today. It says to eat meat sparingly, for example. I've never known a Mormon who took that seriously.

In the meantime, iced tea is a banned hot drink for them, and hot chocolate isn't.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.