Self Employed - Earning Approx £4000 a year?

Greetings! Having just finished school, I have decided to undertake some property maintenance work for 2/3 different people within my local area. I have agreed to work for £50 a day + materials cost. I have recently (last week) declared myself self employed. I have a few questions for you guys.I'm not... show more Greetings!

Having just finished school, I have decided to undertake some property maintenance work for 2/3 different people within my local area. I have agreed to work for £50 a day + materials cost. I have recently (last week) declared myself self employed.

I have a few questions for you guys.I'm not going to be making huge amounts of money (am only planning on working 3 days a week at the moment whilst I learn to drive and do some of my other non money making interests (watching football games live)

Question 1) I'm going to be paid mostly in cash, I will happily pay this in my bank account. But will the HMRC wonder what I do when I'm not working? Earning approx £5000 a year must make them think I'm earning more and just not declaring/ accounting the money?

Question 2) The work I'm undertaking for the next few months is for the same 2 elderly pensioners one of which is my grandmother who has asked me to work 1 day a week for her for until all her work wanted to be done is done (could take months) are the HMRC bothered about this? Or are they happy aslong as all the money earnt from whoever is properly accounted for?

Question 3) one of the elderly women has requested she buy all the equipment for me so she knows what she is paying for. (She only wants to play my labour time basically) on her invoice I give her, and the one I keep for myself do I just put labour time and that's it. Would this be acceptable to the HMRC? Or are they expecting to see a long list of things I purchased to do the job?

Question 4) on my tax return in April, is there any point in claiming expenses if I don't earn over the personal allowance amount of £8000? On my tax return would I just fill in my earnings for the year say £5000? Would there be any point claiming tax expenses when I wouldn't be paying any tax in the first place? In which case, is there any point saving receipts for the odd pots of paint here and there?

Thanks for reading! I look forward to your answers!
Update: Thanks for your answers already! Some more info.... I have only just left school, and picked up bits of 'Handyman work' from my father whilst I was in my teens. I am not looking to do this sort of the thing forever, but for the meantime to make some cash it would be useful. Especially since jobs where I... show more Thanks for your answers already!

Some more info....

I have only just left school, and picked up bits of 'Handyman work' from my father whilst I was in my teens. I am not looking to do this sort of the thing forever, but for the meantime to make some cash it would be useful. Especially since jobs where I live are very hard to come by.

I have already applied for Self Assessment online with the HMRC, Last week. I have never filled out a self assessment form my first I imagine will be in April. I live at home with my Mother, therefore costs are relativly low, and being able to make 4-5,000 a year would be enough to be able to save some money up for a car etc.

Am I doing everything right so far? I have my first 3 days of work lined up for this upcoming week. I plan to invoice my customers monthly as this is what they have requested. I will keep my receipts for anything I purchase for each job, however as i've already mentioned I doubt I will earn enough to get anywhere nea
Update 2: Petrusclavus - As I have already said, I plan to only work 3 days a week. I have lots of other hobbies and other things I need to be doing (Learning to drive etc) In addition to that, Without advertising I doubt there would be that much work going around. the 2/3 people I plan to do work for are either family or... show more Petrusclavus - As I have already said, I plan to only work 3 days a week. I have lots of other hobbies and other things I need to be doing (Learning to drive etc) In addition to that, Without advertising I doubt there would be that much work going around. the 2/3 people I plan to do work for are either family or friends of the family. Obviously I want everything to be legal and abvove board. Even though I know alot of people who do this sort of thing on the side and don't declare a penny.