German Shepherd Vs. Cat? How to handle?

I have had my cat George for nearly 6 months now. He has become my little buddy and is very attached to me and very wary of my husband who is not a fan of cats. He never mistreats George he just doesn't show him much affection. Being a dog man my husband has longed to have a dog for quite some time. Today he... show more I have had my cat George for nearly 6 months now. He has become my little buddy and is very attached to me and very wary of my husband who is not a fan of cats. He never mistreats George he just doesn't show him much affection. Being a dog man my husband has longed to have a dog for quite some time. Today he found an 8 month old German Shepherd and we brought it home this morning. The house has been chaos ever since. As soon as George laid eyes on the new dog, Bear, as we are calling him, he has been extremely aggressive. We tried introducing the to and it only resulted in me being bit by George and Bear taking quit a clobbering. They are in separation now but I feel terrible that George is now confined to my upstairs and Bear gets the roam of the rest of the house. (I'm not so sure my husband minds). Bear has not shown George aggression, he just has a very high level of curiosity and continuously tries to sniff George and paw at him to get him to play. I don't want to have to get rid of either animal. Are their any suggestions on what I should do?
4 answers 4