Could the American government become an oppressive tyranny?

I understand that many Americans worship the central government and believe only police, military and government officials should be armed, since only a large central government should have the right to be armed. Is it possible that the United States government no longer fearful of it's citizens, could fall into an oppressive tyranny?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best answer

Could?

NDAA, Patriot Act, TSA, HLS, ETC ETC ETC

I believe your question should have been.

When did the American government become oppressive tyrannical Rulers?

• 7 years ago

I don't think so. There are multiple parties, different groups (the senate, the house of rep. Etc.) The thing is with so many different opinions and beliefs, it is rare that everyone agrees, it rarely happens that everyone has a unanimous vote. That being said, it is unlikely that everyone involved in the government would agree to such a thing. The way the American government is set up, there isn't really one person who decides everything, even the president needs other people's permission and input. Therefore who would lead such a movement? In some countries It is easy to create a tyranny because of dictatorship, one person rules, and everyone else in the government follows. America is a democracy, and required the input of so many people. This being said, there are too many people involved.

• 7 years ago

YES!!These Liberal Fascists are trying to take away both the First and second Amendment.If you disagree with them they Demonize you.They already can tell you what light Bulbs you MUST use.Obama care forces you to Buy something,weather you want it or not.Obama has stated he doesn't want ANY spending Cuts,only Tax Increases.My way or the Highway! This is not the reaction of a President but a Despot,Tyrant and Dictator!

• 7 years ago

Yes, The only hope we have is to hammer on our representatives to stand strong with the Constitution. We can only pray that Obama doesn't overturn the 22nd amendment and run a third term.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 years ago

We put the people into power and we could always find a way to fight back it is in human nature

• Vanity
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

I am so tired of people living in fear of the what if....not everyone is against guns...or wants to do away with our amendment rights...the point is...guns are getting into the wrong hands and we need a solution...There will be many ideas but not many not amounting to the point of solving the real issues.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

The NRA and Grover Norquist are oppressive tyrants because they cannot be defeated by voters at the polls. The US government cannot be tyrannical because the people can vote out the rascals. The conservatives say we need guns to maintain our democracy. that is nuts, because we have the ability to vote people,including King George, out of office.

• Greg
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

You worship guns and they take countless lives a year. and since when are the army, or the police or a business' security service directly controlled by the government? they're not.

• Very Possible.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

There is absolutely 0 chance of that happening. It is clear that the people in power do not want that and if they did, we would know by now.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.