Anton Crutcher asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

what age do dogs usually become protective?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best answer

The guardian breeds and dogs in general are not born with a naturally protective gene that develops in strength as the dog matures from puberty.

Many dogs will by nature keep watch and should be trained to discriminate and not bark at everything in the dog’s line of sight and some have a strong territorial instinct which can cause behavioral problems if control slides from the owner to the dogs.

Territorial or possessive behavior over a human, the dog deciding who can come inside and where visitors are allowed to go as protective, is not a dog being protective.

What is in the genetic makeup of a dog is self-protection, to see to its own safety and avoid threatening situations by removing itself from it or waiting for its owner to handle the problem, perhaps barking if it had a nervy temperament. Some dogs may attack out of a sound temperament, a defensive reaction to the dog seeing a threat to its safety, which may also save its owner’s skin.

A dog has to be born with the potential to be trained as a defence dog by someone who knows what they are doing to protect human life in abnormally stressful situations, when mental pressure is piled on the dog’s temperament and it has to be relied on to perform its task.

• Jojo
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Dogs do not "become" protective. They can develop territorial barking behaviour, but if you are talking about dogs that reliably protect their owners from human aggressors, then dogs (with the correct temperament) need to be specifically trained to do so by a professional ppd trainer. Possession and fear biting is NOT a dog being protective.

Just so`s you know...ok?

@ Greek... Mmmmm....Flattery will get you everywhere.....Happy new year to you also.

• 7 years ago

Dogs can become protective at almost any age.

Its pretty much whether its warmed up to the family and see them as its pack. That's about when they get protective of things.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

At the age one gets trained to become protective, end of.

ADD: Jojo, you are BEST...Happy New Year.

Source(s): Realist
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

It varies between breeds but mine became protective of our family at quite a young age of 5/6months! It also depends upon how you treat your dog/puppy whether it wants to be protective over you

Source(s): I have a 9 month old westie
  • 7 years ago

between 6 months to a year and half it matters what type of dog!

• 7 years ago

Any age. It depends on training, personality, breed, environment, and genetics.

• 7 years ago

Any where from six months to 2 years. It depends on their breed(natural inclination) and their individual personality.

• 7 years ago

my boxer was maybe 8 months old when he started acting protective of me.

i don't know if that is typical.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.