What is the difference between Hindu vs. Buddhist meditation?

Let me present my view. You may present yours in comparison or in accordance, etc.

The main goal of Hinduism is Moksha/Liberation, where soul joins super-soul as to maintain existence/Nyaya (system/recursion).

Therefore, Hindu meditation is more likely a practice/repeat exercises (example: Kasina, yoga, etc) for jhāna/Dhyāna absorption/strengthening towards developing 'intuition thinking'.

Kasina meditation is also mentioned in Visuddhimagga, by Buddhaghosa (430 CE in Sri Lanka) as a treatise/dissertation.

In contrast to Hindu meditation practice, Buddhism uses a study/logical/penetrating approach towards freedom/Nibbana from all systems/loka/nyaya.

1. Samatha (tranquility/calmness) meditation for discipline (with short practice) &

2. Vipassana (analytical/ insight) meditation for development

Current religious Buddhists mostly do 'practice' meditation and as a result, do not achieve the main goal of Buddhism, which is Nibbana.

The stage is for you to criticize [Nucleus] view and/or to comment and contribute with opinion, knowledge, experience, etc.

@Cole,

Please do not narrow this question to religions. Question is about the 'purpose of meditation'.

Favorite Answer

You might be right. After Buddha I don't think I know anyone who has attained Nirvana practicing Buddhism (I might be wrong also). However, there are numerous people who have attained moksha practicing Hinduism in recent times. To name a few - Adi Shankaracharya, Meera bai, Sant Jnan Dev, Sant Tukaram, Swami Vivekananda, Swami Rama Krishna parama hamsa and the most recent Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi.

Meditation or Raja Yoga (as we call it in Hinduism) alone does not lead to Moksha, although it one essential final step. As long as one cannot let go of "I', there is no moksha or nirvana. Jeeva takes rebirth because of his vasanas. Hindusim contains the knowledge by means of which one can transcend this "I"ness or "ego" and exhaust the vasanas; but I really doubt if buddhism has that. Hinduism says one is NOT READY for exclusive Raja Yoga (path of meditation) unless one masters Karma Yoga. Through the path of karma yoga, one extinguishes the vasanas - evolves to go beyond all the desires and attachments to the fruits of action, thus losing the identity of "self". The "doer" of actions and "experiencier" of the results in you must not exist anymore. Again, it is not true that you cannot practice Raja Yoga until you have mastered Karma Yoga, they can be practiced parallelly.

One might argue that people like Ramana Maharshi or Buddha did not do karma yoga. I say, the jeeva in them had already evolved into a stage where they had no necessity of doing it. What is the point in feeding someone who is already full? Othersise, why would they give up everything in split of a second and go in the pursuit of the Truth with such intensity? Not everyone can do it. As long as you are a kid, you won't let go of your toy, even if someone snatches it away from you, you feel miserable...you have to mature to a state where it does not mean anything to you, then having the toy or not having it does not make any difference to you.

One who has mastered karma yoga can give up karmas - karma sanyasa. i.e physically dropping all the karmas. But, remember one who has not learnt how to drop the karmas mentally is not eligible to drop them physically. Karma sanyasa is the next step of karma Yoga.

Only to such person Raja Yoga yeilds results. The mirror has to be cleared of all the impurities first in order to see the true reflection. Without cleasing your mind of its ego and vasanas and other impurities like attachment, fear/insecurity, jealosy etc., it won't help how much ever meditation you do. Meditating also is nothing but doing a Karma. Because even by the end of meditation "I" am expecting/enjoying the result of my meditation, there is no liberation.

A simplified answer: Hindu Meditation focuses on developing qualities and merging a 'soul' with a 'god'. And Buddhist meditation focuses on developing the mind, beyond just liberation (letting go of and freedom from a fixed reference point of a 'me') but to also reach a consistent experience where the experiencer, that which is experienced, and the act of perception become part of the same totality.

Buddhists don't believe in a soul or gods. Hindus do. They also use meditation to work with two different energy systems. I don't know so much about Hindu meditation methods. But can say that Buddhist meditation is focused on mind experiencing itself, as indestructible, blissful, compassionate and limitless space.

Experience Deep Meditation 100% Guaranteed : http://Meditation.neatprim.com

Hinduism collected everything that was in India into a belief system under one God the Brahma. But I don't know about Hindu meditation. The main difference must be the aim.

As a traveler aim to go a destination, at a distance, he will use a means to travel, a car or train or a horse or just walk. But they can't cross water. So he will certainly need a boat or ferry and pay the fare to the boatman.

That's all about where ones want to go.

• Earl

1

@Cole: It means your religion is right? I am laughing.

well, one thing's for sure, they both look as ridiculous as each other

none, both are false religions.