Job centre calling former employer?

Just a quick question sadly I've been reduced to signing on at the job centre I just wanted to know when you have an interview do they call your former employer while you are there with them??

I'm only asking cause we didn't get along that well

they probably don't have time to phone.

"didn't get along that well" - is this an understatement? If you had a row and said things you should not have done, (eg he can put his job where the sun don't shine, or similar!) then you must phone and apologise. Hopefully you will be offered another job at some time and your former employer will at some point have to write a reference. It might be a good idea to contact them anyway, just speak to the person you didn't get on with - be nice, wish them happy new year and all the best etc. People move jobs and you never know when you might bump into them again.

• Laura

it depends on where you are at... Are you in the United States..and is it the State Job Center/Employment Office . if so then.. No they will not call. ...

If it is an actual placement or temp agency... they will probably wait till you leave.

If you are in a country besides the United States... I don't know.

• Jan409

If you've been made redundant, or fired from your last job, then yes they will phone your previous employer to verify that your story is correct

Source(s): uk

Depends on why you found yourself jobless. If you were sacked they may well ring to find out why you were let go. If it was for something like gross misconduct your claim can be delayed by up to 26 weeks.

• No ! Not as far as I am aware ! That has NEVER happened to me in ALL my experience @ the 3 Jobcentres (Different locations because of my different home addresses) that I have attended at.

Source(s): Much experience of being 'Out of Work' - each of the last 3 recessions - & of having to claim Jobseeker's Allowance - Contribution Based / Income Based (a.k.a. 'Pauper's Pittance') !