Atheists: in your views, is gambling a bad thing?

• Criss

Depends on what you mean,if by gambling organization then yes since a lot of people can do destructive things for money.

However playing poker with some friends is harmless.

It's not inherently bad. If people want to put a quid here and there on a horse or a football match, that's up to them. If it becomes an addiction then it's bad, but as someone else said too much of anything is bad. Everything in moderation, live and let live and numerous other cliches spring to mind.

I think the opinions on gambling among atheists differs with huge variation when compared to the opinions of gambling among theists.

Only if you lose.

But gambling can come in many forms... starting businesses, purchasing stocks, doing investments, etc.

Everyone needs to gamble once in a while. I guess we just need to know when to quit.

What a coincidence religion to rational, that's something I've also thought about If done in moderation, like all things, it's fine I hope this answers your question.

if your not gambling your entire bank account away then its fine

a tiny risk every once in a while is cool with me

• Seph

If done in moderation, like all things, it's fine

If it becomes an addiction that dominates your life, then that's not very healthy. That's not the same as 'immoral' though

• Strega

Personally I think it's stupid, it's probably just easier to throw your money away in the nearest trash can.

But to each his own, if people want to risk their hard earned money who am I to stop them?

Not per se. It depends on the circumstances.

Only when done compulsively or to excess.

Throwing away your money is stupid - but people throw their money away on a lot of stupid things.