? asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 7 years ago

Should all gun owners be required by law to own a gun safe?

Should all gun owners be required by law to own a gun safe? Why or why not?

Favorite Answer

How about we lock your computer because you ask stupid questions. I'm really tired of all you libbies trying to make laws for everything unless they impact you....

Don't underestimate the vigor of a easy, well-made set off lock. I had a $5 trigger lock on my shotgun and lost the important thing. After about an hour of messing with it, it grew to become very apparent that the lock wasn't coming off without the key, a professional locksmith or a entire lot of damage to the weapon. That having been stated, I think that a well-made gun risk-free is only a logical purchase if one's going to possess firearms. If a person needs a gun for dwelling security, they are able to invariably get a smaller, "fast open" safe the place they can retailer a weapon for safety.

I will be suggesting to my representatives that the Federal Government subsidize a Safe manufacturer that is located locally, owned by , operated by, and an employer of US citizens. This way guns could be stored in a secure fashion when owners are away from the home.

* I do not support any law that mandates guns be stored in a safe, nor unloaded when someone is in the home. many keep firearms to protect/defend their homes and their land.

Blessings.

There is a difference between thinking that housing your guns in a safe, or wearing seat belts, or a motorcycle helmet or drinking soda in large cups is a good or bad idea, and whether laws mandating such issues are a good or bad idea.

properly secured arms is as good of an idea as properly secured power tools. The "it should be a law" aspect, not so much.

I don't think that all the gang members and urban thugs who account for the utter vast factual majority of gun deaths are worried about safes. And the loons who shoot up innocents in the burbs usually don't own them for any length of time to bother acquiring a safe.

so just what would it accomplish, the statute that is.

I would say no, but on the condition that the gun owners are held 100% liable for any accidental damages that happen if they fail to take this precaution, assuming said accident could have been prevented by it.

It's fine to say "I don't need it, I can be safe without it" but you should be willing to face the consequences if you wind up being wrong.

@out2lunch if you are in an accident that causes damage to another person due to your failure to have one then the idea might have merit. But it's a silly comparison anyway, gun safes are much cheaper and easier to obtain than garages.

How would such a law be enforced? Is the police going to come into everyone's home to make sure they have a gun safe. If they want me "by law" to have a gun safe, then let them pay for it. They have no right to force people to buy something.

Sounds like a great idea, if Uncle Sugar passes them out for free. Otherwise, it's another barrier to gun ownership for those who need one. And of course, there should never be a requirement that they actually be used. A locked up gun doesn't do its owner much good.

• Cody

i don't think they should "HAVE" to i don't have one nor need one i have no kids my girl friend has a gun two and when i go to bed i put my piece on counter wake up on hip then repeat. making gun owners have to by a gun safe is kinda like telling someone who gets an expensive car they have to get a garage just saying..... besides why would i want to have my gun locked up when the whole point of me owning it is for quick Access should something happen to were it would help

WTF good is an unloaded gun locked in a safe with ammunition in another county. HeII, the cops can get there before you could defend yourself or your family. Remember when seconds count the cops are ONLY minutes away, if they aren't at the doughnut shop. Can you imagine how difficult it would be to open a safe while listening to the screams of your daughter as she is being raped or sodomized?

Not a very pretty picture are they? Sorry if I offended anyone but crime is often violent and seldom pretty.

Cheers

GIMP

I think all gun owners should be required to take classes in gun safety and use and with renewing a license to carry be required to take it again. We do it for driving why not guns?

Just as soon as all car owners are required to own a garage.

Percival, are you willing to hold car owners responsible for anyone injured by their car if it's not kept in a garage?