What might a Buddhist believe?

I'm learning about Buddhist's. A few things we're concentrating on is:-

Do they believe about the end of the world?

How they might deal with it and help?

Please try and answer those two questions as I really don't know what to put on my homework! Many thanks in advance :)

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

No, they don't believe in the end of the world.

and deal with what? help what?

• Steve
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Generally speaking, Buddhists do not believe in the idea of the end of the world.

I mean, sure, they accept the possibility of an asteroid impact or something like that, but it's not part of the theology.

In the original writings, Buddha specifically and intentionally avoided this type of unanswerable question -- he avoided commentary on the afterlife, before-life, beginning of the universe, and end of the universe.

There may be some Buddhist sects that have adopted some kind of end of the world theology, but they are in the distinct minority.

• 7 years ago

Buddhists are taught not to worry about the future or live in the past. They don't read Revelations, so that "end of the world" isn't even an issue. They are taught to treat all beings with respect, compassion and equanimity and not to harm anyone.

If everyone respected all sentient beings and wished happiness on them all, they would naturally take better care of the ecosystem of our world. It's not just human-centered.

• 7 years ago

Theravada teaching:

End of the world is not the end of everything. Buddhist cosmology is not limited to this one earth. The dissolution of a world system is just part of cyclic phenomenon followed by rise of a new world system. Even when every life on this earth ends, the cycle of births and deaths (rebirths) continues in certain realms or in a different world system.

http://www.dharmaweb.org/index.php/Abhidhamma_In_D...

How they might deal with it and help?

Some realms in the world system are not affected by the dissolution phenomenon. When people learn about the predictions of end of their world, they practice more Dhamma (donation, virtue, meditation) for new births in those realms or to entirely escape the cycle of births. Beings, who don't practice Dhamma, transfer to undesirable realms in other world systems.

http://www.dharmaweb.org/index.php/Abhidhamma_In_D...

Check wiki or do google search about the belief of other branches of Buddhism.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Seek enlightenment

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.