What do you prefer: overly friendly dogs or protective dogs?

It has come to my attention that quite alot of people, particularly on this site (no offense of course) seem to prefer dogs that are VERY friendly over watch/guard dogs. I myself prefer watch dogs, or protective dogs lol. No offense to friendly dogs. Its just that dogs that are too friendly will want to become... show more It has come to my attention that quite alot of people, particularly on this site (no offense of course) seem to prefer dogs that are VERY friendly over watch/guard dogs. I myself prefer watch dogs, or protective dogs lol. No offense to friendly dogs. Its just that dogs that are too friendly will want to become friends with almost anyone, including someone you may not like lol!! Anyway, which do you prefer?
Update: Auroch: uhm....ok?
Update 2: Tonic: I didn't say anything about attacking!!! I just said watchdog, which is different!! I just don't love the idea of random strangers walking up to me every 10 seconds (it would get annoying)
Update 3: anti-bsl: What dog do you have?
Update 4: anti-bsl: Aren't all 3 of those breeds of the one dog protective breeds (from what I heard they are) Also sorry if all my questions are annoying you lol!
Update 5: WyrDachsie: Would you suggest a great dane? They are good watchdogs, but they are actually big giant sweethearts for their size, yet their size alone is very intimidating. Same goes true for mastiffs. Very big, yet very sweet.