David asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

At what age do German Shepherds begin to become protective ?

I'm wondering because my 4 month old Shepherd is still friendly .

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Best answer

With the proper socialization in new places with many other people and dogs your dog will always be friendly, which is what you want. GSD's are naturally protective towards their owner and/or family. This doesn't mean that they won't ever let themselves be pet by a stranger.

If you don't socialize your puppy (from now until he/she is 2 years old) than he won't get used to people and will likely turn into an aggressive and dangerous dog towards everybody but your immediate family. This could lead to many problems. You should be taking your dog EVERYWHERE with you while he/she is still young, and make sure that your GSD get's used to new people and things. I also suggest signing up for a Basic Obedience Class, that will not only help TONS with training, but will get your dog socialized in a safe environment.

If you want a trained Guard Dog, than it will need to be trained by a professional as a protection dog which can cost thousands. The protectiveness that GSD's can have will not start to show until your dog is going into adulthood (12-18 months+).

• Peg
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

Don't worry about the protectiveness, because that part is natural to them. What you want to achieve is the well balanced German Shepherd (the type that doesn't lead to a law suit).

A well balanced GSD is friendly. That's a good thing. They should understand who you suggest is good or bad who enters your home.

With that said, my German Shepherds never showed aggression, or protectiveness... that is, until they were put in a situation that showed you otherwise. We never had an intruder in our home, but there was a time that my dad came over for a visit and he just opened the door (without knocking and being welcomed in). Our GSD, who met him nicely previously, said NO. He quickly shut the door and knocked like everyone else and all was good when I welcomed him in.

Oh, and I'd say that GSDs don't hit that protection maturity until about 2 years old.

• 7 years ago

Be glad your puppy is friendly.

They become protective, after they are professionally trained to be so.

• 7 years ago

i say 2 years old

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Once your dog starts to become mature, he/she will start becoming more protective.

• 7 years ago

puppy stage is when they learn to trust human's etc. it is the major learning time for them.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.