College Financial Aid (FAFSA linked to Tax Return)?

Last Friday, I just filed my Fed tax return via mail and filled out the FAFSA for my son. The college requires us to link the IRS tax return with FAFSA, although it also requires we mail signed tax-return to IDOC of College Board. Obviously, my tax return hasn't been processed by IRS and I could not link. I am afraid we will miss the deadline for the Financial Aid (5/13). I tried to do the e-file from H&R Block software and it doesn't allow me to e-file because I had to override some information (the software doesn't handle Roth-IRA conversion from non-deductible IRA well.)

Questions:

1. How soon can IRS process my tax return?

2. Once IRS processes my tax return, I should be able to link, right?

3. Any good suggestions?

• Cassi

If you mailed it, it takes about 6-8 weeks. Linking is not necessarily required, but it makes the process easier. If you have a copy of your tax forms handy, you can fill in the FAFSA application manually. Your son will simply be required to provide a copy of the tax forms and/or an IRS transcript to his school for verification.

Yes, this would be true. As I said before though, it takes about 6-8 weeks to process forms that are mailed in, possibly longer.