LAX Domestic to International time needed?

I'm flying from NY to LA then LA to Sydney.

My flight from NY arrives at LAX at 8pm and my flight leaves LAX for SYD at 10.15pm.

Is this enough time to pick up my bags, make my over to the international side of the airport, and check my bags through again?

Or will I need an earlier flight.

Also how far is the LAX Domestic to International?

All the tickets are separate.

All separate flights.

I'm flying JetBlue from NY to LA

Then Air New Zealand LA to Syd.

• OC1999
    Favorite Answer

You don't give the flights or airline(s) involved, so giving you anything more than general information won't really do you any good.

If you are on the same itinerary the airline should transfer your bags automatically to your International flight. Also, not all International Flights leave from the "International"(Tom Bradley International Terminal). So there is a chance that you will arrive and depart in the same terminal.

The airport is shaped in more of a Horseshoe, with TBIT being at the top. T1-T2-T3-TBIT-T4-T5-T6-T7-T8. As a rough estimate figure about 5 minutes between each terminal, so to get from say Terminal 2 to TBIT figure about 10 minutes. If you don't want to walk you can take the Terminal Shuttle that you can catch on the Arrivals Level.

Going between Terminals will generally(but not always require you to go through security again), such as going between T5 & T6. But if you do have to switch terminals and do have to go back through security you need to allow yourself about an hour.

So if your bags are checked through, you should have plenty of time to get to your next flight. If you do have to get and recheck your bags that could add another hour easily to this process and there would be a good chance you would miss your flight. Especially if the flight is late.

EDIT: If all of your tickets and flights are separate you need more time. Because they are separate if your first flight is late enough and you miss the second flight. There is a possibility that you would just loose that ticket or have to pay a penalty to try to get on another flight.

So it would be best to plan to arrive the day before and spend the night. This way even if your first flight is delayed you should still be able to get there in time for the 2nd flight. If that is not an option, you need to allow yourself at least 4-5 hours. If you are trying to book a flight this way to save money..think about if the savings is worth the possibility that you may miss the 2nd flight.

------

JetBlue Flies into T3, and Air New Zealand operates out of T2. So you will have to get your bags from JetBlue, walk to T2, Drop your bags at Air New Zealand and go back through security. So the above times pretty much stand. The MINIMUM you should allow yourself is 4-5 hours, but to handle possible delays coming in the day before would be best.

If you have 2.25 hours, you should not have any problems.

If you are flying on the same ticket and this is an outbound international flight, the airline should be able to transfer the baggage for you to the new airline.

If you are going from United domestic to Air New Zealand, it could be a 15+ minute walk.

If you are going from American in T4 to Qantas in T4, you might just have to walk across the aisle from gate 42 to gate 41.

you don't say what airline plus you could have taken qantas direct

no plane change why didny you

there are 7 domestic terminal you didnt speciufy which one nor did you say what airline you flying on to sydney

as it *could* be the same terminal

ie dellta flies jfk-lax and also lax syd -

as dores united

as does american

those flight leave from their own terminal-not the international terminal

so it depend what airline you flying

the ususally requirement is that you must be at the terminal 3 hour before international flight

too me you might cut it close-again depend what aiurine lie if you flew american they bradley is next door take 5 mnintues but if you flew united -opp 20 mintues walk

I m fly from Houston to Lax then Lax to Sydney with United airlines.

Do 1:30 enough time for me to transfer in Lax?

Time Lax

• Debra

If you are arriving and leaving from the same terminal, then you don't need to worry about security. If you have to change terminals, then you're screwed (domestic or international)

Usually the airlines will transfer your bag for you. Just make sure the right tags are on them. As them. 2 hours is cutting it close but you can make it if there are no delays.